Does ink freeze ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think this is about one of the printers mentioned in your profile, maybe the Canon iX6840? This is a 5 cartridge printer using the PG-450 pigment ink cartridge and the CLI-451 CMYK dye inks cartridges. This explains the use of refillable cartridges, as one or more sets of OEM XL cartridges plus a resetter would be more expensive.

Your remark about a perfect nozzle check makes me think about Ink starvation, as a nozzle check uses much less ink than a "more normal" document. Could you upload a scan or photo of a print showing the problem? You can crop the image to remove personal info. Else a Windows printer test page might also show the problem.

Did the cartridges behave OK before the temperatures dropped below freezing?

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
I changed printer to little cold place,so problem solved and gone and work very well except still in draft mode need fast feeding of ink may be in summer will work again !!:)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm reading in the XP-900 user manual that the Claria dye ink freezes at -16C and can be stored even at -30C, and cartridges should be given enough time to thaw before using them again - 3 hous at 25C which should be very much on the safe side already.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm reading in the XP-900 user manual that the Claria dye ink freezes at -16C and can be stored even at -30C, and cartridges should be given enough time to thaw before using them again - 3 hous at 25C which should be very much on the safe side already.
Thanks @Ink stained Fingers, your information should be a big relief to those that may have wanted to receive ink by post in extreme weather, but were afraid too...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@Ink stained Fingers Thanks for your info. I thought ordering ink via mail might not be a good idea in the winter, but now I have just ordered some inks from a well known supplier. Even if the ink will be exposed to freezing temperatures during shipment, I will just let it thaw and acclimatize if necessary before use.