1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Does ink freeze ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by Tigerman, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    I think this is about one of the printers mentioned in your profile, maybe the Canon iX6840? This is a 5 cartridge printer using the PG-450 pigment ink cartridge and the CLI-451 CMYK dye inks cartridges. This explains the use of refillable cartridges, as one or more sets of OEM XL cartridges plus a resetter would be more expensive.

Your remark about a perfect nozzle check makes me think about Ink starvation, as a nozzle check uses much less ink than a "more normal" document. Could you upload a scan or photo of a print showing the problem? You can crop the image to remove personal info. Else a Windows printer test page might also show the problem.

Did the cartridges behave OK before the temperatures dropped below freezing?

2. Jan 8, 2017
    Tigerman

Tigerman Print Addict Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MG5640, iX6840
    I changed printer to little cold place,so problem solved and gone and work very well except still in draft mode need fast feeding of ink may be in summer will work again !!:)

3. Jan 10, 2017
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    R265, L300, L800, Pro 7600
    I'm reading in the XP-900 user manual that the Claria dye ink freezes at -16C and can be stored even at -30C, and cartridges should be given enough time to thaw before using them again - 3 hous at 25C which should be very much on the safe side already.

4. Jan 11, 2017
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    Thanks @Ink stained Fingers, your information should be a big relief to those that may have wanted to receive ink by post in extreme weather, but were afraid too...

PeterBJ likes this.
  5. Jan 11, 2017
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    @Ink stained Fingers Thanks for your info. I thought ordering ink via mail might not be a good idea in the winter, but now I have just ordered some inks from a well known supplier. Even if the ink will be exposed to freezing temperatures during shipment, I will just let it thaw and acclimatize if necessary before use.

The Hat likes this.