DIY Photo Paper Coating?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the gelatin coated paper will be the swellable type. Isn't swellable paper only suitable for dye inks?

So probably Canon clear gloss is better suited for pigment inks? How about IS gloss optimiser, will it work the same way and can it also be applied by hand? I wonder if this will work for printing B/W photos with an iP5200 using only the PGI-5 PGBK cartridge with greyscale and plain paper settings?

Out of curiosity I have also bought some gelatin and will also try coating some paper. As the iP5200 uses dye colour inks the gelatin covered paper should work.

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
All Hail The Hat! Wahoo! Say hello to cheap high quality papers of all varieties! I'll try that soon, probably buy some GO from I.S. . I'm hoping the gelatin project will produce something interesting too. I think this run might be screwed because I used fish gelatin. I'm supposed to use 250 bloom (stiffness) gelatin at least and that's usually from cow... we'll see how it goes :)

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
I think the gelatin coated paper will be the swellable type. Isn't swellable paper only suitable for dye inks?

So probably Canon clear gloss is better suited for pigment inks? How about IS gloss optimiser, will it work the same way and can it also be applied by hand? I wonder if this will work for printing B/W photos with an iP5200 using only the PGI-5 PGBK cartridge with greyscale and plain paper settings?

Out of curiosity I have also bought some gelatin and will also try coating some paper. As the iP5200 uses dye colour inks the gelatin covered paper should work.
I think it "might" be the swellable kind... you just won't know till you've tried. It's great that you're testing with a dye ink printer and I'm doing it with pigment. At least after this we should know for sure... except I think I'd need a re-run because I should've used a much stiffer gelatin 250 bloom and up.

But after positive report from The Hat, GO from I.S. sounds very tempting... however I might not do it soon because I found very cheap baryta paper... I can get A3+ Harman Smooth Baryta for about 3SGD a piece locally... comes out to about 2.3USD or so... amazing stuff, if you guys have tried it, try it!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I am also trying this out of curiosity. In Europe the Aldi and Lidl discount supermarket chains offer a very popular Sihl glossy microporous paper once or twice a year for a bargain price. This is a standard paper, but if you are using water colour paper you could create your own artist paper. I guess that is your purpose with the testing?

The gelatin I bought is intended for food purposes and is made from swine skin.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hat, Exactly what PGI-9 Gloss Op are you referring to? I did not know there was such a thing. Canon Clear gloss for what?

Thanks

Jose

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
its 4.45am local time here... preliminary results not too good with the gelatin + pigment ink combo. The paper shows more area without ink (white spotting) than without the coating. I can only hope for good news with the dye ink.

I'll update again tomorrow when I can get some photos to show you guys. :)

@Jtoolman "http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PGI-9-Gloss-Enhancer-Cartridge/dp/B007JXZY3O" its for the entry level A3+ printer MX7600 or IX7000 for Asia markets

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks Hat. I had no clue that existed.

Jose

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Let's try to come up with the most complicated idea involving printers ever and see what happens when The Hat tries it! :pop

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Fenrir Enterprises said:
Let's try to come up with the most complicated idea involving printers ever and see what happens when The Hat tries it! :pop
Disregard Fenrir Enterprises comments hes only trying to test my patience...:lol: