DIY - custom silicone gaskets

Tandberg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II
Using commonly available materials its easy to make soft silicone gaskets for use as seals
when filling ink cartridges. The silicone can also be used to make reusable caps to seal the
cartridges after refilling.

Some nice properties would be:
- Softer than the usual rubber sheets used for gaskets. This means low forces are needed,
the cartridges are not made to take large mechanical loads.
- Resistant to water and chemicals used for cleaning.
- Non toxic
- Commonly avaliable

Silicone used for sealing glass (aquariums, windows etc.) is available in soft variants. The type
I have tested has a hardness of 16 Shore A degrees and meets all the requirements in the
"wishlist". Look for a similar hardness or types that clearly state they are highly flexible
(like allowing 25 % movement of the seal).

A sheet of clear polypropylene or polyethylene is used as a base to form the gasket. Lids for food
containers are often made of these materials ( marked PP or PE ). Avoid the coloured ones,
something strange in the surface chemistry sometimes makes the silicone stick and hard to remove.

First lay a string of the silicone on the plastic sheet and quickly spread the string to form a wider
layer no thicker than approximately half of what you want the gasket to be finally.

Wait until this layer has set, it takes a day or so for 2 mm. High humidity makes the process quicker.

Peel the silicone layer away from the plastic sheet.

10368_seal-1.jpg

Make another string of silicone on the plastic sheet. Turn the silicone layer from the first step upside
down (flat side up) and press it down on top of the new silicone string. Start in one end and press it
down a little all the way to the other end. Air pockets can be pushed out to the side.

Cover all of the old and new silicone with a piece of a polyethylene bag. Wrinkles are ok, the important
surface on top has already set.

Place two pieces of something flat on either side of the silicone, this will decide the thickness of the
gasket.

Place something flat that covers the entire gasket on top of the two distance pieces. Press downwards
until the gasket is flattened to the height of the distance pieces. (a weight on top is a good thing)
The plastic bag is there to keep the silicone from sticking to these parts.

Wait half a day or so until the outer edges of the new silicone has set. Remove the plastic foil even if
some of the new silicone is sticking to it, this part is wasted anyway.

Wait until the bottom layer has set all the way to the middle.

The useful part is the one that is flat on both sides. Cutting is easy using a sharp knife, water and some
soap. Holes can be cut with a sharpened metal tube (also lubricated).

10368_seal-2.jpg

My own use in a "filling station" for BCI-3 cartridges. The fixture has a flat surface pressing down on
the gasket. It also contains a small valve to manually open and close the vent hole. The seal does
the job really well, it is airtight (if the label on the cartridge is undamaged). Only a few N(ewtons) are
needed to compress the seal. The length of the gasket is needed to center the force over the bottom
seal, otherwise that part will tilt slightly and possibly leak.

Why this complicated procedure, why not just put silicone between two plastic sheets?
Well, it will take forever and a day to set, especially if the gasket is thin and wide.
2 mm per day to set is a figure I have seen but I have not had the patience to test this myself.

A semicircular crossection can be used to seal the vent holes on BCI-3 (and similar) cartridges.
Cut the nozzle of the sealant tube like this:

10368_seal-3.jpg

The seal can be combined with a rubber band made from a bicycle tube like this:

10368_seal-4.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tandberg
Your wasted on other forums did you know that, they wouldnt appreciated you the way we would,
and besides we need all the best inventers on here to satisfy the needs of our growing popularity.

Its the simplest of things we understand better than the complicated ones,
so your idea should spur on others to replicate your idea and maybe even find more application to use it on.

Now for the bad news, BUT there always has to be a but.:he

The only fault I can find in your whole new invention was
you didnt use an OEM cartridge for your illustrations.. :gig

Tandberg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II
... but I used a genuine plastic lid from "Rydberg's Potatisallad" for the illustrations.

Surely that must compensate my unforgivable error to some extent?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tandberg said:
... but I used a genuine plastic lid from "Rydberg's Potatisallad" for the illustrations.
That darn BUT has gone and done it again, Ouch.. :th

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Tandberg

Nice idea with the home made silicone gaskets. I have an HP Photosmart AIO, which has problems with leaking gaskets between the cartridges and the ink inlets in the printhead. The cartridges and printhead used in this HP printer are very Canon like. I might give your method a try to improve the sealing. I think the original gaskets are worn.

Tandberg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II
PeterBJ

If you want to match the hardness of the old gaskets you can compare the data sheet for
Casco Glassilikon (which is the one I used) and similar sealants. Look for the hardness value
measured in Shore A degrees.

A really simple hardness tester is a round pointed toothpick with the tip squarely cut off to a diameter
of 0,8 mm or so. Use the same force to press into the material and see how far it goes.
Pressing a fixed distance (1-2 mm) and see how much force is needed is an alternative.

Some examples of the hardness for some other silicone products (from the Casco range)
Vtrumssilikon 20, Byggsilikon 25-30. The next steps after these are like rubber erasers and car tires and too
hard I guess. There are danish texts on the packages so they should be available in your country too.
(For those outside Scandinavia the names mean silicone for sanitary use and for use in/on buildings.)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Hi Tandberg

Nice idea with the home made silicone gaskets. I have an HP Photosmart AIO, which has problems with leaking gaskets between the cartridges and the ink inlets in the printhead. The cartridges and printhead used in this HP printer are very Canon like. I might give your method a try to improve the sealing. I think the original gaskets are worn.
Would it be possible to utilise the silicon washers in most cartridge clips for your HP seals? I use dense rubber sheet approx. 4mm thick for my Freedom box and that works well and also like Tandberg on top of the air outlet with either a rubber band or tape.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem with the HP Photosmart B209a is that ink creeps past the gaskets to the bottom of the printhead, and I also suspect that the printhead takes in air causing ink flow problems. I have only problems with the dye cartridges, no problems with the pigment black cartridge.

The pigment black cartridge clicks firmly in place, but the three dye ink cartridges were a very loose fit. I tried to raise the gaskets for the dye cartridges with small pieces of plastic cut from the lid from an ice cream box. This plastic is 0.8 mm or approx. 1/32" in thickness. The plastic "washers" give a much better fit, but the leakage problem remains.

See this picture, click to enlarge:

The picture shows the plastic pieces I cut to raise the gaskets to improve the seal, It is clearly seen that they are stained by ink that has leaked. The three gaskets are shown from the side, bottom, and top. They don't appear to be damaged. It is hard to see from the scan, but the outlet filters in the three dye ink cartridges have been pushed approx. 1 mm into the cartridge, I think this indicates that the gaskets are too low. The displacement of the outlet filters can best be seen in the yellow and magenta cartridges.

I have a suspicion that the problem might be caused by the hole in the gasket not giving a tight fit to the ink inlet of the print head. Maybe a little silicone sealant will help?

I have some orange outlet sealing clips for both Canon OEM and third party cartridges, I will also try if some of the silicone gaskets from these clips could be useful in stopping the leak.

Tandberg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II
I think your soulution would work if you replace the plastic gaskets with ones made out of
a bicycle tube. The thickness on one tube I found was 0,9 mm. Pretty close I think.
Your LBS (local bike shop) would probaly have other types (and thicknesses) in their rubbish bin.

If the bottom gasket in the picture has ridges around the hole make the gasket fit inside these.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Tandberg, nice technique, and nice spelling.

Barfl, note the difference between silicon and silicone. Silicon runs your computer, but it makes terrible gaskets.