Dealing with Epson counters that shut off your printer.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The Hat said:
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Ok Just got through removing my CIS system and adding Remanufactured OEM NBR.79 Cartridges in my 1400 Epson and the good news is they work and demonstrate that there is nothing at all wrong with my basic printer, the prints are the usual beautiful prints we always get from our Epson 1400 model. The bad news is that when I remove the OEM cartridges and re-install my CIS system which made the same quality prints on that printer for over 2 years I get shut down as before with a red light and red X's on the Cartridge icons. So this is all due to the Epson policy of tampering with printers sold to their customers to force the use of their expensive cartridges. Personally I have decided that if Epson keeps this policy in force I will never buy anything from them again. And that is not what I want at all because I do like the prints I get from the Epson 1400. Too bad...sooo sad! outoftheinkwell.
Could you not swap the chips from the OEMs to your CISS cartridges,
would that fool the system and enable you to print? :)
The CISS refferenced are dampers and not cartridgues. They run agains a ganged bank of chips with a Reset All To Full ( RATF ) sliding switch and so must be run with the chip bank.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
websnail said:
In terms of those chips... Just get some ARC (auto reset chips) and use those instead... They resolve the problem with the chips not being accepted.. or should at least.
Can't swop chips/. These are dampers against a banked set of chips in their own holder.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jtoolman said:
websnail said:
In terms of those chips... Just get some ARC (auto reset chips) and use those instead... They resolve the problem with the chips not being accepted.. or should at least.
Can't swop chips/. These are dampers against a banked set of chips in their own holder.
So this is an Ink Republic kit then?..

Given that it's a photo 1400, there's going to be one of two things going on.

1. That the firmware was produced after the chips and thus programmed to refuse to work with them
2. That the chips are basically fubar

Either way, a support query to IR or the supplier should help sort it... Even if they sell you a new gang of chips you should be able to resolve it with the latest chip models... Or at least you should be able to.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm not sure if cutting the chips off an Epson cart would work, I was thinking since the RATF chips are supposed to copy the Epson chip they should work but more is going on there I think. I did clean and re-install the RATF chip that worked on my 1400 before but it didn't work so I pulled it once more and put in some Remanufactured Epson OEM cartridges again and they are working fine but I told you that already! Sorry to repeat. I have heard through a friend that some work is being done on a firmware/software program for printers that might make printing possible without the chips altogether but I don't have a clue how that would work. I do hope it will be offered soon. Wouldn't that be great? Back to the golden age of printers before chip counters, handing control back to the printer owner instead of the companies. I sure hope that works out! Happy Printing guys and gals...outoftheinkwell!

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi OutOFtheinkwell, I wonder if it's not too much of a trouble, if you could post a picture of the RATF chips that were giving you problem. It's not necessary if don't wish to.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
They are not from inkrepublic, they are from Inkjetcarts.us
The chip bank is held in place against the contact in the carriage by several spacers. So they remain installed and are not ever physically connected to the damper carts. There is slider switch ( on / off ) that is used in the resetting procedure.

When cart is empty the printer will get the red light error.
1:You hit the ink button and carriage moves to change position.
2:You slide the switch to OFF and hit ink button.
3:Carriage returns to normal position and reports ALL carts as empty
4:You hit the ink button again and carriage moves to change position.
5:You slide the switch to the ON and hit the ink button.
6:Carriage moves back to normal position, ALL carts are reported as FULL and ink purge takes place as with any new cart installation, except you are really using a CISS.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Remember when chips didn't exist on cartridges? Printers worked just fine and I never heard of anyone destroying a printer for lack of a chip counter.
As for all the warnings about ink filling the ink tanks and spilling over onto the furniture, I never heard of that happened either!
I have seen posts lately from printer guys saying they did a reset of their printers more than 3 times and after thousands more printed pages still have had no ink spills coming out of the bottom of their printers. And, of course for the chronic worrier types among us their are those really cool "waste ink tanks". Nope, No matter how they cut it, I see only one reason for chips that keep track of prints and that is to sell more printers and cartridges. They used to call that "Planned Obsolesce". Happy Valentines day all! ...outOFtheinkwell!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes,, those were the good old days!!! I remember them well. My 1st Chipped printer was the Epson 780.
I used to have a nice Canon something of other way way back that had plain NO CHIP carts that was a dream to refill.

Unfurtunatelly time machines do not exsist so we are stuck with chipped carts and yes it's pain but they are here to stay.
I say, stop worrying about it and enjoy the fact that we are easily beating them at their own game.
I will continue to refill and print to my hearts content as much as I want and the prints are gallery quality at a fraction of the cost.
I do not skimp on paper but I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for OEM ink!

Happy refilling and printing everyone!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman
Thats about the most sensible piece of advice to give to someone
that Ive heard in a long time, and it goes double for me.

Right on Joe.
Most deafeningly Happy Printing.. :thumbsup

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Remember when chips didn't exist on cartridges? Printers worked just fine and I never heard of anyone destroying a printer for lack of a chip counter.
As for all the warnings about ink filling the ink tanks and spilling over onto the furniture, I never heard of that happened either!
I have seen posts lately from printer guys saying they did a reset of their printers more than 3 times and after thousands more printed pages still have had no ink spills coming out of the bottom of their printers. And, of course for the chronic worrier types among us their are those really cool "waste ink tanks". Nope, No matter how they cut it, I see only one reason for chips that keep track of prints and that is to sell more printers and cartridges. They used to call that "Planned Obsolesce". Happy Valentines day all! ...outOFtheinkwell!
If you could post a picture of the that chips that was giving you problem, I may have something to share my story (not necessary that I would definitely have something to say, it all depend after I look at that chip). But like i said at post #15, you don't have to if you don't wish.