Damaged Nozzle = 5mm spaced dark lines in photo's

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I haven't used the my i9950 for a couple of weeks and although I use refilled cartridges in my MP760 I've only ever stuck to OEM's in this. I really wasn't expecting a problem but if you check out the bottom row of nozzles on the BCi-6BK nozzle check you can see that I have an odd nozzle.

Trouble is I don't think it's blocked, I think it's actually damaged because the line is the right length to fill the hole, it's just not aligned properly. This results in a double layer of black ink being put down because the line lines up with another further down etc.

I've done a few head cleans, flushed the black through with window cleaner to no avail. I've left the head in solution to soak over night in the hopes that there is a partial blockage that is just changing the angle of the spray.

Has anyone else had this and resolved it without replacing the head?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

3614112061_1e2dd19b55_o.jpg

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well you can try this new method I made, after soaking did not work even in commercial solution I bought:

Try to clean with stream, just to make the nozzles damp with warm stream. I know it can be dangerous if done incorrectly. However I have successfully unclogged few print heads this way when other methods failed. So go give it a try. This is a gentle method do NOT ever blast your nozzles with steam!

I use a stream pot (clean it very well before procedure). Hold the print head some 25cm from steam pot exhaust nozzle (you should be able to hold your hand without discomfort at this height). This way the print head will not overheat.

1. Now make yourself a syringe 20cc with tubing to fit nozzle ports.

2. Now put a tiny drop of ammonia 10% (you can buy it in your local pharmacy) on the print head port you are going to clean.

3. Attach the syringe to the port and start to pull/push while holding the head in the flow of stream. Do this for 5 minutes or so.

Explanation why this method works:

The heat helps to dissolve the dried ink, as we know ammonia solution helps to loosen the ink and improves viscosity too. This method is easier than soaking, can be repeated numerous times and gives faster results. The warm 40 or so degrees C steam condenses on nozzles. You actually suck the steam (also in a form of condensed water) as you pull the syringe. Steam provides protection against sucking dust inside with air too.

Wipe the head and golden contacts plate clean with paper towel and clean the print head rubber pads with Cotton Swabs. Place the print head in the printer run cleaning cycle and nozzle test.

P.S. You can have small singe use food container near by with distilled water to damp the head after a minute of holding it in steam, then put it on paper towel. Then go back to cleaning with steam. Do this every minute.

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm guna give it another go this evening and see where I get with it.