D50 vs D65 ICC results.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here are some results of the differences between D50( Daylight 5000) and D65 ( Daylight 6500) profiles.
Do keep in mind that these are done with a low end scanner not calibrated, also the aspect of masking because of the scannner light source and the fact that we are looking at the results from a backlit source that is not the correct light needs to be considered. Despite that, there are subtle differences that maybe you'll be able to pick up. Hence why D50 vs. D65 debates will continue for a while. The most important thing is what pleases your own eyes or the eyes of the beholder.
D50_D65.jpg

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
well, yes, the differences are only visible in direct and careful comparison, I got similar very close results doing my profiles with X-Rite profile maker. There is no reason for me to start or continue any debate about this. I did profiles for a while for both D50 and D65 but I stopped doing that and just do it for D50 for quite a while. Only when I know prints are viewed almost ecclusively under tungsten light I recalulate a profile for it, here a shift in the color balance becomes more visible, but again only by direct comparison.