Creality CR10 Mirror Busted - New Magnetic Flex Sheet Print Bed

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I leaned towards the magnetic bed when my latest CR-10 laminated glass bed got damaged due to bit of stupidity. The print wouldn’t come off so I used force and it removed the laminate surface too..
hole.JPG

I taught these magnetic beds were the greatest thing since sliced bread, But.. But… like you I had the problem of things warping when the magnetic bed let go and wouldn’t stay flat on the edges.
bed2.JPG

I now use clips to hold down the bed edges and so far it has worked but sometimes they get in the way of my prints and need to be moved slightly, I intend going back to glass on my next maintenance upgrade, (The printer is very busy right now)..
clips.JPG
The older CR-10 has had the same kitchen glass on it for a very long time and I have not found anything that comes close to it for sticking down the prints, but like all surfaces you need to keep them very clean, I use W5 window cleaner, (Windex).
glass.JPG

I use heat too..
P.S. right now both the CR-10's are running almost 24/7, pending on filament supplies..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I taught these magnetic beds were the greatest thing since sliced bread, But.. But… like you I had the problem of things warping when the magnetic bed let go and wouldn’t stay flat on the edges.
Yup, EXACTLY the same thing! Glad you got a good picture of the problem.

I now use clips to hold down the bed edges and so far it has worked
Ah, that's an interesting idea! I might give that a try at some point!

It also looks like we might both have similar manufacturers of mag sheets. I'm wondering if we just got "weak" magnets with them? It's possible that other companies use a stronger magnetic base.

There's also the spring-steel magnetic plates that are more ridged, vs. the floppy magnetic sheets. That might be worth a try since I bet they do a much better job of resisting the curl-up.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These new Spring Steel plates look the business at keeping the larger project prints in place, but the price they want is a bit on the heavy side I reckon, after all I taught the exactly the same about the blue soft plates, and they fail on occasion too.
hotbed.JPG click to enlarge.

I will be going back to a glass bed after I’m finished my lamp standard project, I wouldn’t mind the coloured kitchen glass I have on my other CR-10 was 25% cheaper than the Steel plate..
MY latest large print dident lift the bed with the clips holding it in place this time..

Untitled-1.jpg

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I now use clips to hold down the bed edges

I use these printed clips to hold down the glass. They're less likely to get in the way than metal clips.

BedClip.jpg

SCAD file is something like this:

Code:
x_thickness=7;
y_thickness=5;
gap=4.75;    //from bottom of bed to top of glass
width=20;    //width of clip (along bed)
arm=7;        //length of arm from edge of bed
x_indent=x_thickness/2;
y_indent=arm/3;
rotate([90,0,0])
  linear_extrude(height=width,center=true)
    polygon([[0,0],[gap+2*x_thickness,0],[gap+2*x_thickness,arm+y_thickness],
      [gap+2*x_thickness-x_indent,arm+y_thickness],[gap+x_thickness,arm+y_thickness-y_indent],
      [gap+x_thickness,y_thickness],[x_thickness,y_thickness],
      [x_thickness,arm+y_thickness-y_indent],[x_thickness-x_indent,arm+y_thickness],
      [0,arm+y_thickness]]);

Last edited: