CR-10 Was Printing Fine - But Now Won't Power Up

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
After letting the printer sit for a while, it turned on again. This time instead of turning it off and testing again, I decided to start the same print that ran last time when it failed mid-print.

It's already past the point where it conked out last time... but even if the print finishes, I'm not holding my breath that once turned off, that it will turn back on.

I received an email from Banggood and they are walking me through using a multimeter to test the power supply unit (PSU) for both main 110 voltage in, and 12v out... and send them a video of the test (which I'll do once this print is completed).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wouldn’t mess about trying to give them an excuse to decide what to do next, they were happy to take your $’s only a short while ago, and now it’s time for them to step up to the line, demand a complete new control box or a total refund and don’t settle for anything less.

You’re in a great position to bad mouth them if they fail to satisfy you completely, and don't tell them it's back working again or take any prisoners.. :old

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Banggood suggested I test input & output voltage to the power supply unit. The PSU has 116 going in, but nothing coming out. Obviously a faulty PSU, right?

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
Is it possible that your electric power at the outlet less than completely stable? Was the air conditioner and/or oven running while the printer was active? Is the printer on its own circuit or are their other current draws? It might be a good idea to have the printer on its own surge protector in case something blows in a high current (read heater) circuit.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Great question! I've put it on different circuits and it still has the same results. It turns on, and I can use it just fine. Then when I turn it off, it won't turn back on... at least for a while.

It's as though it's overheating... but doesn't know it's overheating until it's turned off. Also, I'm using it in a cool 23 deg. Celsius room.

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
Great question! I've put it on different circuits and it still has the same results. It turns on, and I can use it just fine. Then when I turn it off, it won't turn back on... at least for a while.

It's as though it's overheating... but doesn't know it's overheating until it's turned off. Also, I'm using it in a cool 23 deg. Celsius room.
I would guess that the printer is tripping the PSU's overcurrent protection when the printer is warmed up. Something in the printer is drawing more current than it should when it is warmed up but not so much that it triggers the PSU's short circuit protection. But the power-on inrush current combined with the excessive current draw/short is enough to trigger the PSU's protection circuit on power-on.

You might look for pinched wires and the like. Or maybe selectively disconnect the printer's power connections to isolate the excess current draw. But don't do the latter without consulting with the printer manufacturer.

Can't type any more for now. sorry.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
overcurrent protection when the printer is warmed up
Interesting idea. What I don't understand is why it doesn't matter if it's on for 3 seconds in a cold room with almost no current draw (not printing or heating up) or 2 hours printing away... it still won't turn on after it's been turned off.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, I guess the videos were proof enough. Banggood is sending me a replacement PSU. I just hope it's not coming from China and won't take too long.