Continuous Ink for Epson 1400

Na8

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All. Newbie here.

I've recently discovered the existence of this type of ink system. I don't do much printing now, but I think I will print more in the future. I have an Epson stylus 1400. What should I consider before installing such a system on my printer?

Nate

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Unless you print a LOT on a daily basis I would not reccomend a CISS for your printer. Just use two good high quality sets of refillable carts filled with good quality ink. I'm sure Mikling ( Precision Colors ) here in the forum can help set you up.
Your work flow can be as such to minimize have to refill many indvidual carts every time one is empty and having the print run many pruge cycles.

Set up an external waste ink bottle to collect all you generated waste ink.

Install your first set of carts and print.
When the 1st color shows as being low ( Nor empty ) remove the whole set and install the second full set.
Reset and refill the set just removed so it is ready the next time one colors is low.

That's about as basic as it gets.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I agree with all said so far, of course when you do have a CISS installed it is cheaper by far to just print a color test page or two each day to keep the printer working perfect and you should not even think about doing a head cleaning with the standard deal. That is just my opinion based on over 2 years( and counting) with the same Epson 1400. And the ink is so more affordable with a CISS there is no problem with using a lot of it. I understand that there is a way to set up a printer to print a test page daily even when your on vacation. In 2 years I think I did 2 head cleanings on this printer and they we're not really necessary!

fraqtl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I say go for it personally. The comments so far are right but personally, I always purchase a CISS whenever I get a new printer. Makes it easy in the long run. I personally hate refillable cartridges so it's CISS all the way for me.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just filled two 6 ink cartridge printers a few minutes ago and it took about 15 minutes. I do like the CIS systems with the bottles and tubes but I have to say the damper cartridges with the flip top covers are easy to use and I get almost no ink on my fingers and I don't use gloves. Just pop up the lids for the same color on each printer one at a time and go for it. If I'm in a big hurry I just top off the most used colors which are usually Light cyan and light magenta!

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Still using the 1400, excuse me, got to go refill the dampers. should take about 15 minutes( I'm slow)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Na8,

You might have a look at the inkrepublic system. My previous Epson 1400, which I have sold to, uses this system and actually with fade and water resistant pigment inkt. This is my youtube video demonstrating this fantastic CISS system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKgp3lQ2Rcc