Confused about new printer

Lusitano

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart C4280
I've been using an HP Photosmart C4280 for the last 6 years. I was never happy with it. The cost of cartridges, even refilled ones, are quite outrageous. I used to watch Epson OEM cartridges selling for about €2 each, and mine would cost around €10.
My HP MFC started to fail now. I installed new refilled cartridge and it works a few prints, and stop detecting black cartridge. Installing a new one solves the problem, but only for a few print jobs. I'm done with it and HP.

I was researching for a new MFC printer, and saw the old Brother without chip cartridges would have a very low cartridge cost, but I can no longer get those around here. I also saw Canon MG4550, but it is way to large and I don't have enough space to house it.

My requirements are quite simple: I mostly print in black (normal, sometimes draft), when printing color I don't require great color accuracy, and I won't be printing photos. The scanner function must be good enough to scan documents and images.
I won't be printing more than a few times a month (1 or 2 sheets at most).

I'm not the refill yourself type guy. I prefer to buy the OEM cartridges and that is it. I won't be spending more than €90 for the device.

It needs to be reliable enough and don't waste a full cartridge during cleaning like my older Epson did.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Have you considered a laser printer instead of an inkjet? Your description of usage aligns with a laser printer, which typically are MUCH more durable...

That said, have you tried a new OEM cart? Your supplier of refilled carts may be doing a poor job on resetting the chips, or using substandard chips.

Last edited:

Lusitano

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart C4280
Thanks for answering. About the OEM cartridges, they are from different suppliers, and even different countries. One has been purchased overseas, and the other one near home.

A laser printer would add expensive costs when replacing toners. Even a recycled toner costs around €30 at least, and if the printer has color support, it needs 4 toners-

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are no shortcuts to owning a printer, and the cheaper you try to keep them I found usually ends up costing you more in the long run, the fun part is getting as much out of them as possible without it costing a king’s ransom.

Each brand of printer has its own built in cost factors so the trick is to get one that suites your needs the best that’s why so many guys choose the refilling route because they want to extend and enjoy the printing pleasure even more cheaply.

Refilling your cartridges is not exactly cheap to start out with but after only twelve months you'll have saved enough money from it to buy another printer to add to your collection.

Happy Refilling..:cool:

Lusitano

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart C4280
Is there any printer you may suggest The Hat?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanks for answering. About the OEM cartridges, they are from different suppliers, and even different countries. One has been purchased overseas, and the other one near home.

A laser printer would add expensive costs when replacing toners. Even a recycled toner costs around €30 at least, and if the printer has color support, it needs 4 toners-

When I say OEM carts, I mean genuine HP carts . Have you tried a non-refilled genuine HP cart?

You need to assess costs on a per-page cost. Typically, laser toner carts last thousands of pages, while inkjet cart last only hundreds. AND the laser printer is:

-more reliable
-produces WATERPROOF printouts.
-requires less mainenance

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is there any printer you may suggest The Hat?
The problem with me suggesting a good printer for you is that it may not suite your needs at all, I tend to run a mile from HP and Lexmark printers, and wouldn’t even consider them as a good choice at all.

As I said above, know what you want then look around to narrow down your choice, like do you need, say easy to use, not to expensive to print from, separate ink cartridges and are there any good 3rd party supplies available for it, like cartridges inks and redsetter !

Never choose a printer on the price alone because the cheaper the printer the more expensive it usually is to run, I am sorry I can’t be more helpful to you, I tried most of the printers and I've settled on Canon printers now..

Lusitano

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart C4280
The problem with me suggesting a good printer for you is that it may not suite your needs at all, I tend to run a mile from HP and Lexmark printers, and wouldn’t even consider them as a good choice at all.

As I said above, know what you want then look around to narrow down your choice, like do you need, say easy to use, not to expensive to print from, separate ink cartridges and are there any good 3rd party supplies available for it, like cartridges inks and redsetter !

Never choose a printer on the price alone because the cheaper the printer the more expensive it usually is to run, I am sorry I can’t be more helpful to you, I tried most of the printers and I've settled on Canon printers now..

I wanted to buy the Pixma MG4555 but the problem is it is too large, and I have space constrains.

Lusitano

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart C4280
What about the Brother DCP-J552DW ? It seems nice.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What about the Brother DCP-J552DW ? It seems nice.
Do what I do when space becomes an issue, build on an extension to your print room.:D

Some say Brother Printers are quite good so if it fits into your space and budget then it might be the one for you, but I would look at its speciation in great detail first and then decide, good luck with your decision.. ;)