CompuBiz Inkjet

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The orange stoppers come originally welded to the cartridge and can withstand air pressure fluctuations. But when you break them off and then try to hold them on with a rubber band and seal the vent with tape, air pressure fluctuations will force air in and out the outlet port. It could either result in ink being forced out or air being forced in and drying out the foam. Leaking is especially a problem if you ship the cartridges. See this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=12328#p12328

It's OK to use the orange clips held on with rubber bands, just don't tape up the vent hole.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I should add one other thing: put your stoppered cartridges in an air tight plastic bag like a ziplock bag. This won't prevent daily air pressure fluctuations from forcing air in and out of the cartridge but it will maintain a relatively constant humidity on the inside of the bag and reduce drying out on the inside of the cartridge.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
The orange stoppers come originally welded to the cartridge and can withstand air pressure fluctuations. But when you break them off and then try to hold them on with a rubber band and seal the vent with tape, air pressure fluctuations will force air in and out the outlet port. It could either result in ink being forced out or air being forced in and drying out the foam. Leaking is especially a problem if you ship the cartridges. See this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=12328#p12328

It's OK to use the orange clips held on with rubber bands, just don't tape up the vent hole.
With shipping involved, all bets are off as now the carts are possibly being subjected to aircraft pressurization and de-pressurization.
For home use re-stoppering and taping has been 100% trouble-free here. I also have found that the Snap-Ware line of sealable containers are perfect in size for storing BCI-6 / CLI-8 type carts. Keeping the carts in an air-tight container probably enhances the other two measures.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to add my very recent experience. This past Monday evening I ordered a supply of the Clear Canon BCI-6/CLI-8 clips and BCI-3/PG-5BK clips from Compubiz Inkjet (www.inkjetsaver.com) and received them today (Thursday) - very quick delivery from WY to PA. All the clips came in good shape and fit the various cartridges very well. I have used their previous Orange ones and the Clear version seem as good/maybe better made than the Orange. The pad on the cartridge outlet hole seats better now. Since I am a top hole refiller these clips will make it easier to see how much ink is in the cartridge. I wanted to post my positive experience compared to a couple negative reports. Maybe the early Clear clips were poorly made and the problem corrected.

Steve W.