Compatibles available on eBay now for the new Canon CLI-8 cartridges.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
...... I think I would rather buy a second set of OEM carts, refill them and use them on a rotating basis, and occasionally purge them per Granddad's instructions............ .
Does that mean that the 4200 can only remember the ID of two carts, as opposed to the three carts of HP ?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No the Canon and HP chipped system is totally different--the Canon does not remember a cartridge ID number.

I think what fotofreak is referring to is the conventional wisdom that its better to have a spare cartridge ready to pop in--rather than have to immedietely refill the cartridge-- meanwhile while the printer cartridge slot is empty and exposed to air. Having one or more spare sets of cartridges also means you can refill at your leisure. And keep printing also.

The curse of refilling a chipped Canon---to get a spare set of cartridges--you often have to buy a pricey extra set of OEMS--and in a non chipped Canons you get empty blanks dirt cheap.
And the cartridges mentioned on this thread--don't come with the chips the chipped Canon requires to even recognise that slot is occupied or to use the cartridge.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fotofreek said:
Might even be worth it to buy a second ip4200 printer instead of a set of carts when you see one come up on a great sale. The printer will be nearly free at that point.
Definitely the recommended way to go (if you're going to go with a chipped Canon).

Getting a new printer means you have the printer, the printhead, the cartridges and cables twice over... So, even if you get a waste ink tank error you can just transfer everything over..

I already sold off a few excess Cd trays and cartridges (well I only want empty ones) on ebay and recouped all but 10% of the printer cost in the process... Crazy world we live in.. :p

canongrrrr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is insane. I had to buy a new ip4200 about a month ago, since all the good models are no longer available.

At the current prices, it is literally cheaper for me to buy a brand new sealed ip4200 than it is to buy *one* set of ink cartridges. I guess printers cost -dollars to produce nowadays. *cough*

It's just massive price gouging on this ink. It really is unconscionable.

Kamikaze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My father-in-law gave me a set of chipped cartridges from his Canon printer. He is the kind of customer that Canon is looking for. I told him I could refill them for him but he was absolutely not interested when I mentioned the warranty issues. He just went and bought a complete new set of cartridges, and did not complain that much about the price. This from a man who I have seen tear a paper towel in half, to save a half a paper towel, when using it for a napkin. He ended up with this printer because I told him to "buy a Canon ip3000" because I could refill the cartridges for him. The ip3000 was no longer available at the store he went to and he came home with a new chipped Canon printer which up to that point I knew nothing about.

Anyway I took these chipped cartridges he gave me and refilled them and snapped them into my ip3000 and they are working perfectly. Had to trim a little on the snap tab on the big black cart. The little black cart, of course, has no use on the ip3000.

Oh, and he told me that Staples told him that they would give him $3 credit for each cartridge he turned in. I wonder what they do with them?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Kamikaze said:
Oh, and he told me that Staples told him that they would give him $3 credit for each cartridge he turned in. I wonder what they do with them?
Staples used to give a $3 credit for ANY ink cartridge but now they will only give it for SOME of the cartridges that have built-in heads, ie, HP, Lexmark, and some Dell. Office Depot offers a pack of paper for HP and Lexmark, and CompUSA offers $2 credit towards a new cartridge.

uranustarinkjet

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Compatible Canon CLI-8 ink cartridges with chip are now available!
Does anybody try?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
uranustarinkjet said:
Compatible Canon CLI-8 ink cartridges with chip are now available!
Does anybody try?
Not seen any... where?