Compatibles available on eBay now for the new Canon CLI-8 cartridges.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
From everything I've read, it will take a while to see cli-8 compatibles for the newest Canon Printers, but there is an auction on eBay from a dealer in Germany offering them right now.

The dealer is highly rated, and the auction # is 6881826912....check it out. Price is about $3.50 US each.

Anyone know about these...or have tried these????

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I notice they do not have chips on them and you have to swap the chips from your empty one - so your no further forward than refilling your own cartridges, except for paying well over the odds.

The compatible cartridges are provided without chip.
The chip must be transposed of the cartridge originalesur the compatible cartridge.
Instructions are delivered to you in your language.
Handling requires a little skill, but does not pose a problem.
We do not assume any guarantee for handling.

I wouldnt be buying these.

Regs,

D

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not that I would buy them, but it is a step in the right direction. If the cartridges are of decent quality at least you can get replacements without buying a completely new set of OEM's at a fair price to refill. Other tan that I am better off buying a new 4200 from CompUSA for $80 with new cartridges.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think I heard something about these on another forum--the cartridge itself has a special pocket to accept the chip you must cut off the OEM cartridge--cutting thge chip out o the OEM cartridge may be somewhat difficult--but once the chip is cut out--transferring the chip should be a snap.

But I sure could be wrong here---may just be hearsay and overspeculation on my part.

But if I am correct it may have some intresting implications---it may allow a market for depleted OEM Canon CLI-8 cartridges or their chips to develop on someplace like ebay--and save some chipped Canon owners the expense of buying a whole set of OEM cartridges just to have that spare second set.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm afraid the current crop of eBay offerings just plain p*ss me off..

Great that they are providing a reasonably mess free way to use the printers without having to buy new Canon carts BUT I haven't found a single seller who has pointed out the potential warranty issues because no matter what you do the chip will stay "empty" and result in a "Do you want to continue and kiss your warranty goodbye" message that marks the end users printer.

Granted people will be able to see this information for themselves when crunch time comes but it's plain dishonest of the sellers NOT to give this information but of course they're just trying to eke out some cash in the wake of their older chipless income starting to be affected.

Oh, of course I'm still not overly happy with Canon themselves for creating this profit mongering b*ll*x of a system that is simply NOT for the benefit of the customer but hey..

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Websnail, I totally agree with you - As a Canon reseller my main sales pitch was "so much cheaper to run that all its competitors" now i have nothing. Print resolution is the same as is print speed - Canon have given me no merrits to sell these printers on. Their cartridges are also more expensive than their previous ones and more expensive than their competitors.

Thanks Canon!

Regs,

D

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Another case of "buyer beware"....Guess Canon owners will still have to wait for proper "chipped" cartridges. Putting a used Canon chip into one of these cartridges would still read "empty", I'm assuming...so no real benefit here. Might as well refill the empty Canon cartridge yourself.

Whoever comes up with a good compatible first will make a killing. Even when some company comes out with just a chip resetter, that will be a big help to one and all.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Manuchau said:
Putting a used Canon chip into one of these cartridges would still read "empty", I'm assuming...so no real benefit here. Might as well refill the empty Canon cartridge yourself.
Correct.. I've had this confirmed by other iP4200 users who've shown the chip doesn't reset if it gets moved. Once it shows as empty it stays empty..

Whoever comes up with a good compatible first will make a killing. Even when some company comes out with just a chip resetter, that will be a big help to one and all.
This would seem sensible but I have a niggling feeling that Canon have invested far too much time and energy in this new design to just lay down and take it if someone comes up with an alternative chip. Anyone care to bet against Canon having a legal team, prepped and ready to fight any alternatives. I'm also certain that the current warning system is designed with a legal case in mind.. After all, if you stop to think about it, their arguement is that they are trying to stop people abusing the warranty system when 3rd party ink is the cause.. The chip does deal with that rather effectively and ultimately you can always refill the cartridges.

If anything I suspect Canon will have drawn the line at going after 3rd party cartridges using non-canon chips. They'll probably leave other ink manufacturers alone (after all, they can't argue willful damage if they've already warned the end user about using 3rd party inks) and I can see an easy to refill cartridge being the thing that provides 3rd party ink businesses with a middle road alternative that Canon leave alone. Either way it would still mean that most "I don't want the mess" end users are going to be stuck with expensive cartridges and they'll likely vote with their feet elsewhere..

Ultimately I suspect the real damage will be dependent on whether:
a) Canon lose serious sales as a result of this move and do an about face
b) Canon go for the legal challenge for alternatives or leave them alone
c) The other printer companies adopt the same technology approach (Patents?) and close the market down?

Bottom line, it's going to be an interesting year of events with this new technology so here's hoping the courts have a little common sense at the end of the day.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Excellent commentary, Websnail....

There could be another option as well. If they would just price their cartridges reasonably, they ould draw customers back. Bottom line is, corporate greed, as well as creating a proprietary market and a monopoly. I know dealers who won't sell Canons any longer to their cost-conscious customers. I'm sure Canon is feeling the pinch because a lot of consumers are pissed off at them.
Stay tuned....interesting doings in the printer industry coming up.

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Another little trick they use as well...Re-use the chips OR use a non-canon chip and the print speed is slowed down. You can only get full print speed with original canon cartridges.

Manuchau said:
Another case of "buyer beware"....Guess Canon owners will still have to wait for proper "chipped" cartridges. Putting a used Canon chip into one of these cartridges would still read "empty", I'm assuming...so no real benefit here. Might as well refill the empty Canon cartridge yourself.