Colour management, B&W Printing

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Andrew,,,, I am the one using the Krylon Spray.
Just leave him be for a while Joe, he’s away with the fairies with all that’s going around inside his head at the moment, he’ll get back to us once the spell has worn off. o_O

Then thing will be more black and white to him.. :lol:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
RogerB said:

" The printed results are shown in the composite image below. The top is EEM/Relative Colorimetric; middle is EEM/ABW and the bottom is QTR. Ideally the steps should appear to increase in density in equal amounts up to the maximum black (Dmax). I can tell you from my measurements that the only one to do this is the QTR print which has extremely good linearity. The RGB (top) one has very compressed shadows and the ABW is not quite right in the mid-tones although the shadow detail is pretty good. Interestingly the Dmax values increase from top to bottom - 1.07, 1.21, 1.25. ABW and QTR give a visible improvement in Dmax. (I should say that I have removed all the colour from these images just to make the density differences more easily seen.)"

1439-b758c1f39d1bb62a1443c1c1b624cc11.jpg

This is gold. Thanks.

Now that I have the "why" I can start to UNDRSTAND what I am doing when I make changes, rather than just seeing a difference :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Cheers

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just leave him be for a while Joe, he’s away with the fairies with all that’s going around inside his head at the moment, he’ll get back to us once the spell has worn off. o_O

Then thing will be more black and white to him.. :lol:
Its the Spray, they have a warning on the can, I suspect he read it and got mixed up...

JOE! Spray the blooming stuff on yer PRINTS, its not really a hair-o-sol at all :gig
The Hat is right, your seeing all greys, this won't do a thing for your DMax.....trust me I tried and and it FAILED:lol:

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Maybe I should send you a print so you can see.
Nah, it cost too much.
Even though I absolutely know that I could get deeper d-MAX with a coated WC paper, I simply love it and it giving a look I really am beginning to like a lot.
Seriously, I am loving the prints I am getting.
They UV spray is primarily just a protectant, and whatever other visual benefits that it might provide is just a secondary benefit.
Joe

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
, Joe, I know you are the one using the Krylon, ignore THE HAT he is just being SILLY (again)
He is suggestion, I bin snifin' the spray,:celebrate
and I am being just as silly, as him, suggestion that YOU should be sprayin' the Krylon on your prints, and not on your hair to ramp up its DMax (Turn it black again) as I have already tried that..my hair is still grey but its getting REALLY hard to crack a smile:lol:
:old
On a serious note, your spray suggestion was right on the mark as I had a pigment print on Arches scuff badly enough to have to scrap it altogether.

Oh Gosh! how I HATE being serious tho I MUST say the spray does make the prints more colourful, they sort of twinkle, and one portrait even winks at me:weee

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I didn't get it initially because.... well there's no hair at all to spray so the "joke" went right over the 'ol head!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
3dogs said:
Oh Gosh! how I HATE being serious tho I MUST say the spray does make the prints more colourful, they sort of twinkle, and one portrait even winks at me:weee
@3dogs doesent know that the little people spend some of their holiday time somewhere near the Coliban Reservior area of Victoria...

upload_2014-2-11_12-26-26.png

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@3dogs doesent know that the little people spend some of their holiday time somewhere near the Coliban Reservior area of Victoria...

View attachment 1453

Now Da Coliban is a mighty River, a great place for the little people to holiday. For starters its wide enough for even the height challenged to leap at a single bound, and the Reservior, Oh! what a place to picnic amongst the thistles, fighting off tiger snakes and red bellied black snakes that just LOVE that sort of terrain ah! da JOYS of an overseas vacation at an exotic location floating in on the Res. in an empty McDonalds burger box, Take away Coke cup top , with a straw stuffed through it for a brolly, what a vacation to remember.........AND just a 10 minute walk over to my place for their Holiday snaps :weee:old:weee arm in arm wid me frenzy:thumbsup

Last edited: