Colormunki Photo repair

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
How is this relevant to Fixing a Colormunki?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Some of the members on this site occasionally have a lapse into nonsensical humour but we stay on topic for a large percentage of the time :)

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
Ok I'll bite. The munki [monkey] went colour blind....

No I was wrong, the Munki needs contacts....

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
- make a photo of the Colorchecker Classic card
- convert raw to dng with Adobe DNG Converter, make camera profile with Colorchecker software
- import photo in LR using a preset with this profile and lens corrections
- calibrate the monitor with Colormunki and i1Studio software
If you accept my advice, use the I1Studio software only for calibrating printers but not for monitors, any monitor. There're free and much better alternatives like DisplayCAL.
In case you have a monitor with hardware calibration, then use the program provided by the manufacturer (Color Navigator for Eizo or Spectraview for NEC) but avoid the soft bundled with the Color Munki/i1Studio if you want a good monitor profile.
Somebody from another forum who knows a lot about color management told me this a couple of years ago. I didn't gave him much credit in the beginning but he was totally right. As they would say at the other side of the pond, Xrite soft sucks big time..:D

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
I use the Colormunki software on some of my clients monitors so they can get a better idea of what the images should look like.
On my computers I use ColorEyes Display and it works fine with any of these 10 devices:
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.17.56 PM.png

In my world I do not totally rely on the screen for adjustments.
In fine art reproduction soft proofing is highly inaccurate, and I have been adjusting colour since long before digital. IE printing from colour neg and from slide since the late 70's.

It rarely takes more than a couple of tests to nail the reproduction and it helps that I am also a painter.

What I do like is the scanner / camera profiles that the i1Studio software can do. Up until now I have used InCamera software, but it is an 8bit plug In, so one needs to open CS5 in 32 bit to make it work.

Although some folks like the dng workflow I do not.

Back to the orig post, I am pleased to get the munki new contacts. It now works.

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
The i1 software does not see the Munki for registration but it can use the Munki for calibration. One must simply put up with the registration prompt popping up every time the software is started up.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The i1 software does not see the Munki for registration but it can use the Munki for calibration. One must simply put up with the registration prompt popping up every time the software is started up.

When you switch Check for update off you don't have that message either.

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
I am either doing something wrong, or my version of OS and i1 works differently.
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.42.02 PM.png