1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Colormunki Photo repair

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by palombian, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Jul 1, 2016
    palombian

palombian Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II MX7600 IX6550 MG8250
    Did someone manage to take apart (and reassemble) a Colormunki Photo ?

It becomes very erratic to select the calibrating position.

Seems to be the position sensor.
    There is a strip with reflective targets in the outer cover that broke, and you should be able to glue them in place again.

No warranty anymore.

2. Jul 1, 2016
    W. Fisher

W. Fisher Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Epsons, Canons, Brother.
    Mine acted up when rotating the dial to calibrate. Finally it wouldn't work right with the software as well as the calibrate part. I called X-rite and they told me "To send it in and they would replace it." It was more than two years old and they sent me a whole new boxed one for free, even included a mini-ColorChecker chart and new zipper case both!

Fwiw, there is a flex cable inside the thing that eventually breaks. It flexes pretty sharply in the large rotating part of the dial inside the thing. Digi-key (and Mouser electronics too) sells the replacement flex piece for $3.90. Here: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wurth-electronics-inc/687708200002/732-3578-ND/2811300 Biggest hassle is prying it all apart with those large "staples" that hold the cases together, after you unsnap all the outer covers, to get to it and plug each end of the flex into the USB and internal sockets.

Also, I recall there was a seal under the over pop-off covers that alerts them that you've been inside the thing. Just a heads up there if you snoop and want to later try the warranty route.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

W.F.

palombian, stratman and The Hat like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2016
    palombian

palombian Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II MX7600 IX6550 MG8250
    Unfortunatily in Europe consumer law is different (see the VW diesel case).

Thanks for the link to the cable, as measuring is fine I do not think I need it now, but stocking the item is not a bad idea.

Found where the "staples" are, one covered by a seal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    The Hat likes this.