cli-8/pgoi-5 orange caps

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got an IP4500 to replace my old Epson R220 (keeps clogging, cd tray doesn't feed, etc etc)...
It's still in the box until I run out of ink on the epson.

I've found two sets of empty OEM carts on Ebay..
I've been reading up on refilling those for the last 2 days, and I'll probably be refilling them using the german
method. it just seems a lot easier! a much less messy!

I've searched and read the forums here... can someone confirm this info..

1. I should purge the carts before filling with after market ink. (still hesitating between MIS and hobbicolors)
If using the german method, I can inject distilled water in the empty chamber and when flusing, the old ink should
go out through the vent hole...
No need to drill any new holes...

2. I have some long BLUNT needles.. these should do find for the german method but I'll probably
have to spin around the needles to get them to go in properly.

Now here is my UNANSWERED question...
I do not have the orange sealing caps for the ebay oem carts. I only have the set from the carts supplied on the printer.
I plan to have one set of carts in the printer, and two extra refilled set ready to go, so I'm short one set of orange caps.
Is there any other way to seal the exit port for storing refilled carts?

Or does anybody here have a few sets of caps /storage clips they'd be willing to get rid of?
thanks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No need of those caps. Just put them with the ink outlet facing down in a small Tupperware box or similar box which can be sealed airtight and put them away in a dark place at room temperature. This will do and your cartridges will stay moisten up to one year without significant evaporation. I always keep my cartridges in this way and never had any problems.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
the question about purging oem carts before refilling with MIS or Hobbicolors inks - for my ip5000 and i960 printers I just refilled the carts when the reservoir was 80 to 90% empty (checked visually) without purging the oem ink. worked fine. If you are very critical about the absolute color match you should purge the remainder of the ink out of the cart, but I don't think you will be able to tell the difference visually. For absolutely correct color response you should callibrate your monitor and have a custom profile for the ink/paper/printer. I was more than pleased with the color response by just refilling without purging. The empty carts you purchased will need to be purged completely if they are not totally clean when you got them. I would purge them anyway as you don't know if any solvent or detergent was used to clean them.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
thanks everyone!
I'll store them in a tupperware, but I think I'll also put them in individual plastic bags, in case something goes horribly wrong and one of them leaks.

As for the purging for color accuracy, my monitor is calibrated with a Spyder, and I also own a copy of Profile Prism. I am by no means an expert, but I do see a good difference in the print between profiled and unprofiled prints... I mostly use Kirkland paper, nice bang for the buck..... Anyways, it's probably safer anyways as I have no clue where the carts have been

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I have long blunt needles and found that grinding them to a sharp point made it much easier to get through the sponge without deforming it. I think you'll like the German method. I've found it a lot less messy than other methods.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have purchased some sets of carts off e-bay and I use the German method with sharp medical needles.

Orange caps are the most convenient and luckily the persons i got them from on e-bay carts also both dispatched them with the orange caps. Failing not having these I would probably opt for the Lock and Lock type of container. This should keep the internal pressure fairly constant provided the ambient temperature is stable.;

I have never purged any of my carts either the ones I bought with the printers or the ones off e-bay. My own have been refilled many times , the e-bay ones are very unlikely to have been interfered with , (can see no evidence they have). These e-bay carts originally contained genuine Canon ink ,(perhaps still have a little) , I re-fill with Hobbycolors.

Regarding calibration I compared between the 2 makes and there was little difference, not enough to matter if the Hobby goes and mixes with what little is left of the Canon, but I can understand that some people would wish for more accurate calibration via a purge and then re-fill.

If I had to purge I would use Grandad`s method.....seems very thorough .......but the drying is the bit that would worry me.....any moisture remaining would compromise the color integrity on a rising scale ...not good!.
As suggested , I would recommend you try and sharpen the blunt needles. Shrinkwrap/Sandwich wrap may be worth a try instead of the orange caps.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
If I had to purge I would use Grandad`s method.....seems very thorough .......but the drying is the bit that would worry me.....any moisture remaining would compromise the color integrity on a rising scale ...not good!.
Yes, Grandad's method is very thorough.
Instead of tap water, I've been using a 60ml adapted syringe with heated, distilled water.
Takes abour 5-6 loads per cart to flush. Not practical for large amounts of carts.

In my climate (PNW), with an added 1/8" hole on the top of the reservoir side, it takes about a week to completely air-dry the carts.
With careful use of an oven, I would think that drying time could be reduced to hours instead of days.
A food dryer might also work. Could be a boon to those who don't want to drill the 1/8" hole.