CLI-8 Cartridges, How does the chip really monitor ink?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
lin said:
And websnail, according to Tin Ho, it's seems that I am really the only person with this chip problem. Oh well, I guess I am really the only person with this problem chip. :)
Well, no you aren't. As I've already pointed out this issue was reported at MIS (inksupply.com) by Marine and you don't just ignore that... I just wasn't tied directly to the 8BK chips.

BUT, you still haven't said what model Canon printer you have... :D

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Isn't funny how he/she avoids that question?.....It's been asked about 4 times now in 2 different threads, and he/she still hasn't answered the question.

Lin, what model is your Canon printer?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think we probably had given Lin a little hard time in trying to help him. I hope he understood that we are only trying to help. There is not a particular terminology for the action of pressing the Stop/Reset or Resume (depending on the printer model or multifunction). It is safe to say it is a signal the printer was waiting for. By pressing the button the signal is given to the printer to tell the printer that yeah go ahead to make my day. You go ahead to disable the ink level status monitoring and let me do my refill and not bother me any more.

It seems some, should I say very few, people have problems there. Well, we should acknowledge that it is probably real. And let's find an answer why it happened. First the computer has to allow the message window to pop out. This message window has the message that tells you about the warranty thing. Then there is another to pop out later to tell you to press the button for 5 seconds. Guess what, sometimes the message window won't pop out! It is really a problem associated with the Windows. The printer driver in such a case will not know that the message window did not pop out so it would either keep waiting or quit waiting and goes back to the low ink stop state or whatever it is. An old PC with small amount of memory may be more likely to run into it. Or if a non Windows compliant software was installed on the PC that had messed up how the message window is popped out. There could be spyware, adsware and virus that is making a living in your PC.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's a nice theory Tin Ho but I don't think you'll find that's going to be the issue because the printer will still flash and allow the button to be pressed for 5 seconds before it resets, even if it's not connected to a printer. In a nutshell it's the printer that's got the issue and not the computer or the driver software.

From what I've seen of the driver interaction the driver merely communicates with the printer, it doesn't control it... Certainly there's no "waiting for a user response". You get that within the MFD's like the MP500 but only if you initiate something like a nozzle check using the actual printers own interface (not the driver software).

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
tigerwan said:
Isn't funny how he/she avoids that question?.....It's been asked about 4 times now in 2 different threads, and he/she still hasn't answered the question.

Lin, what model is your Canon printer?
Hi tigerwan, I was uncertain if I should state so openly as my only machine is still under warranty. I feel a bit uneasy which is why I am hesitant to reply back openly. Here where I am as long as I used non original ink, I practically voided my warranty for the entire machine. They do not care if the machine other parts wear out or get loosen or other faulty parts or if it's not due to the use of non original ink, as long as I use non-original ink, it's considered that I voided my warranty. My uneasiness may be unnecessary or needless. But that is how I felt initially. Of course, if websnail, really want to know, I wouldn't mind emailing him and let him know. In fact, it's one of the machine which he already had members reported back that it's is refill capable under his research thread.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
I think we probably had given Lin a little hard time in trying to help him. I hope he understood that we are only trying to help. There is not a particular terminology for the action of pressing the Stop/Reset or Resume (depending on the printer model or multifunction). It is safe to say it is a signal the printer was waiting for. By pressing the button the signal is given to the printer to tell the printer that yeah go ahead to make my day. You go ahead to disable the ink level status monitoring and let me do my refill and not bother me any more.
I understand that pressing the resume/stop button for 5 seconds doesn't do the actual 'Reset'. But I just use the same word 'reset' just like other folks (it may not be at this forum) that may have called that action to release the chip ink monitoring. In future, I will replace calling that action using the word 'Reset' via resume/stop button to minimize such confusion in case people read word for word instead of the whole context. Hmm, how does the word 'Disable' instead of 'Reset' sound? If there is another appropriate English word for that action, do kindly offer me the suggestion so that I can use in future.

Tin Ho said:
It seems some, should I say very few, people have problems there. Well, we should acknowledge that it is probably real. And let's find an answer why it happened. First the computer has to allow the message window to pop out. This message window has the message that tells you about the warranty thing. Then there is another to pop out later to tell you to press the button for 5 seconds. Guess what, sometimes the message window won't pop out! It is really a problem associated with the Windows. The printer driver in such a case will not know that the message window did not pop out so it would either keep waiting or quit waiting and goes back to the low ink stop state or whatever it is. An old PC with small amount of memory may be more likely to run into it. Or if a non Windows compliant software was installed on the PC that had messed up how the message window is popped out. There could be spyware, adsware and virus that is making a living in your PC.
Just like you do not need to connect the printer to the PC in order to get the printer to print out a nozzle check. You do not need to connect the printer to pc in order for the printer to throw some alert message after powering up the printer. For those printer that comes with a mini LCD screen, you will be able to see the same error message via that printer LCD screen without connecting your printer to your PC. I have uploaded another picture (Fig 3) at that thread (post #23) which I linked at post #147 here.

Yes, indeed very few people have this problems. So my case on one problematic CLI8BK might be really an isolated case. I am not saying that the printer itself loses the refill ability as my first set of chips cartridges had been released from ink monitoring just fine. But somehow the CLI8BK chip (from 2nd, later sets) has not work with the printer in such a way to trigger the accept warranty void option or giving me the ability to release the chip ink monitoring via pressing the resume/stop button.

As very few are having the same problem, so few such that my problem is quite insignificant. Who knows my local seller customers may have encounter similar problem for which they didn't know they could release the ink monitor and continue to use non original ink (just like how initially I thought when he mentioned about his customer feedback) or whether they are just like me that they could have one of this chips which have gone corrupted which give them the illusion that they cannot refill. I really cannot comment on this.

Another thing I like to clarified is that this problematic CLI8BK occurred and feedback before my latest problem after having my logic board were replaced to avoid anyone think that both problems happened at the sametime.

Websnail, you may like to take a look at the new uploaded picture Fig 3 at keastman thread (for which my post #23). I don't know what error message that Marine see and reported over on inksupply.com. Whether they are similar. However note I am not using IP4300 like Marine thread at inksupply. All in all, it might be just my CLI8BK had gone corrupted (it's not broke down as the printer is able to recognized it) or whatsoever. We don't really need to dwell too much on my one CLI8BK chip problem. It's really issolated cases and very few people will ever encounter such problem as mine. Just like Tin Ho had said I seem to be having more problems that others do not have and I actually posted my problems. If I didn't feedback, I will appear as having no problem, isn't it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Re: the printer model... Understandable in part but in fairness a little paranoid... For starters we have no idea who you are, what country you are in, nor the serial number of your printer. The only bit of info you'd be sharing would be the model number, not the serial number. If anyone asked you for the serial number I'd be thinking like you but in this case I think you're being over-cautious.

Re: the problems...
I think it's fair to say that you probably have either a bad batch of chips or printer itself is faulty. Certainly it sounds like you have an non-typical printer especially given that it has a different logic board in it. That said it's definitely something to look out for in the future.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
websnail said:
Re: the printer model... Understandable in part but in fairness a little paranoid... For starters we have no idea who you are, what country you are in, nor the serial number of your printer. The only bit of info you'd be sharing would be the model number, not the serial number. If anyone asked you for the serial number I'd be thinking like you but in this case I think you're being over-cautious.
It's one of the printer that members had feedback to you it's refill capable. A printer which you also had a lot of experience using. I think you were right. My uneasiness is certainly unnecessary. I just don't know why I initially I had felt that way.
websnail said:
I think it's fair to say that you probably have either a bad batch of chips or printer itself is faulty. Certainly it sounds like you have an non-typical printer especially given that it has a different logic board in it. That said it's definitely something to look out for in the future.
I think you have mistaken, I had mentioned in my post #176 here, the problematic CLI8BK occurred (actually many many weeks ago) before I sent my printer for repair for which the logic board has been subsequently replaced recently. When I had that problem with that particular CLI8BK chips, I didn't even post immediately. I was fortunately enough to have camera with me back then which I could capture the error messages. I don't always have that habit of posting any problem immediately when I first encountered them (other than my recently issue with the logic board).

Before the replacement of logic board which took place recently, the printer certainly is capable of refilling except the CLI8BK from the 2nd later sets which display the above problem. Old logic board or replacement of logic board, like Tin Ho has pointed out that it's should not have remove the refill capability. However in regard to my this problematic CLI8BK chip, it's really not a big problem as not many people will ever experience this problem anyway. So it's really ok.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lin said:
It's one of the printer that members had feedback to you it's refill capable. A printer which you also had a lot of experience using. I think you were right. My uneasiness is certainly unnecessary. I just don't know why I initially I had felt that way.
... we're waiting... :D

I'm guessing the MP500 given that you have an LCD display and a CLI8BK cartridge but it'd sure be nice to get confirmation. ;)

websnail said:
I think you have mistaken, I had mentioned in my post #176 here, the problematic CLI8BK occurred (actually many many weeks ago) before I sent my printer for repair for which the logic board has been subsequently replaced recently. When I had that problem with that particular CLI8BK chips, I didn't even post immediately. I was fortunately enough to have camera with me back then which I could capture the error messages. I don't always have that habit of posting any problem immediately when I first encountered them (other than my recently issue with the logic board).

Before the replacement of logic board which took place recently, the printer certainly is capable of refilling except the CLI8BK from the 2nd later sets which display the above problem. Old logic board or replacement of logic board, like Tin Ho has pointed out that it's should not have remove the refill capability. However in regard to my this problematic CLI8BK chip, it's really not a big problem as not many people will ever experience this problem anyway. So it's really ok.
Actually I think I didn't explain myself carefully enough... I knew that the problem preceded the logic board assembly but there's a few things here to note:
1. This is just one printer so you've never actually been in a position to test your cartridge with any others
2. The fact that the logic board was changed doesn't affect the fact that the carriage unit and cartridge are the same.
3. The logic board just adds another variable to an already complicated situation.

I think, with all the evidence available that the problem is actually a dirty or faulty chip contact in the actual printhead carriage.. ie: the little metal pins that stick out and connect/contact the chip when the cartridge is installed. You might want to try looking into the carriage and seeing if any are out of alignment or covered in gunk..

It could still be that you have a bad chip batch or that something else has gone awry but overall the simple fact that I have a brand new iP4500 here that works just fine brand new cartridges that have reached empty makes me think this is one of those rare, non-standard problems.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
websnail said:
... we're waiting... :D
Sorry for the delay and being away. It's not hard to guess what's the model for you because I dropped so many hint and hopefully you guess it. Sorry that I still don't feel comfortable in stating in boldly in black and white. But your previous enquiry whether is it that model that you have figured it out, my answer is not a 'No'. So I hope you can read in between the line and get the hint on the model. :)

websnail said:
I think, with all the evidence available that the problem is actually a dirty or faulty chip contact in the actual printhead carriage.. ie: the little metal pins that stick out and connect/contact the chip when the cartridge is installed. You might want to try looking into the carriage and seeing if any are out of alignment or covered in gunk..

It could still be that you have a bad chip batch or that something else has gone awry but overall the simple fact that I have a brand new iP4500 here that works just fine brand new cartridges that have reached empty makes me think this is one of those rare, non-standard problems.
There is no problem with the contact on that problematic CLI8BK chip discussed or on the printhead carriage chip sensor which I mentioned in keastman thread. Bare in mind that it has detected the CLI-8BK chips from my 1st set of cartridges. The printer was able to detected the new CLI-8BK cart which I had recently acquired too. I even clean up the problematic CLI8BK chips of the 2nd set before I posted at keastman's thread . But the result remain that it keep asking me to replace the ink tank without providing me with the accept warranty void option or release the ink level monitoring via the resume/stop button. And in case anyone thinks like Tin Ho who suggested that it could be virus on my computer. The answer is no. No virus. Whether I connect the printer to the computer and even on another machine, the error message will still be show on the 2.5" printer LCD panel.

I like to think that something has gone haywire during the process of read & write to the problematic CLI-8BK chip when it trigger the low ink/empty or something. I will not go about resolving this problematic CLI8BK chip since it's just one chip and wasn't a big problem for me as I could still use my 1st sets of cartridges so the lost is not really significant.

I feel really appreciative you and along with others have taken the time to read & given some thoughts my post on that 1 problematic CLI-8BK from one of the cartridge sets.