CLI-42 Refilling

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
LA Awesome contains "some" Sodium Hydroxide, otherwise known as lye.

Very hash stuff! NEVER let that get near a print head.

I always final flush with distilled water, as the residual contaminants in de-ionized (softened) water are really unknown.

Water is strange stuff. It is REALLY aggressive when very pure. It likes to be a solvent for just about about anything if "too pure". Even solid rock!

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I agree with the advice of avoid absolutely that LA Awesome for printer cleaning purposes.
The bottle says 'no acid, no ammonia, no bleach..' and forgets to add 'contains NaOH (sodium hydroxide)' which is ten times worse than ammonia for most metals or the organic tissues. According to the specs, there's 0.5-0.8% of NaOH in this cleaner. That's enough to cause skin irritation and may damage seriously the eyes with any accidental splash.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
there's 0.5-0.8% of NaOH in this cleaner. That's enough to cause skin irritation and may damage seriously the eyes with any accidental splash.
Not to mention the harm it would cause if drunk, to all you old Sterno drinkers.

Ray Westfield

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100 S
Well since my concern about windex I have taken the bull by the short and curlies
Decided to flush and clean the old empty yellow cartridge
Well can report that windex worked a treat. Flushed one syringe through then topped up and left overnight. Next day washed with water followed by flush with deionised water
Cartridge has come out white as snow and no signs of ink anywhere.
Presently drying via paper towel method. Hopefully tomorrow will be dry enough to fill after resetting chip.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
Cartridge has come out white as snow and no signs of ink anywhere.
Well done,ray.
I'll have to try that method sometime.

I took a more aggressive approach in continually flushing with Windex
until clean, rather than a simple flush then a soak.
Sounds like quite a timesaver over my approach.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Food for thought indeed... I'm processing something like 100+ of these carts at a time, so, needing a more efficient approach. we'd gone with multiple cleans and rinses using a mix of cleaning solution and deionised water. Taking a step back and reading through, it's dawned on me that we hadn't looked at leavings things to soak.

Every day's a school day...