CISS Ink expanding through tube and up to air filters!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There are some underlying assumptions when a principle is presented. First let's check into the physics of a bubble, then look at it at the opening of the nozzle. What forces are in play?

The mariotte bottle says nothing about the viscosity of the fluid but intuitively you can see that if you poured 30 weight motor oil at room temperature into a CISS, no matter how high you raise the tanks, it is not going to come leaking out the printhead. Right? So why not? More thinking required. Darn that theory is so simple but now we complicate things.

Good try lads. More studies are required. My study days are done so don't ask me to explain, my brains are too tired.

I'll add another hint though, capillary forces. Where are those in the calculations?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry fellas but I got lost on this discussion a couple of threads back
with all the technical jargon totally way over my head. :sick

The CISS I have is probably the most common one in use and works 100% of the time
but to be sure of its reliability I heavily maintain it and give it what every CISS needs and that's constant use. :rant

Failure to fulfil this simple task and I can guarantee that your CISS will give you no amount of trouble
and you will eventfully stop using it, i.e. a messy failure, colourful surroundings, hair loss, panic, print job was not completed in time.

The simple formula I use is CISS = Constant use and no holiday. :thumbsup
mikling The basic principle of these constant pressure system is the mariotte bottle principle
This works well in theory when everything is constant.

lebac

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently installed CISS in my printer and after using it for a while noticed this problem occurring. Ink has been flowing up the air tube from the start, but now for the first time it has reached air filter up to mid point (and actually gathered in the widest part of it). Luckily... still no overflow.
Here is my question: Do I need to replace or clean the air filters? Ink will dry up and probably make air flow impossible after some time.
If I can clean them, what would be best way?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lebac said:
Hello.

I have recently installed CISS in my printer and after using it for a while noticed this problem occurring. Ink has been flowing up the air tube from the start, but now for the first time it has reached air filter up to mid point (and actually gathered in the widest part of it). Luckily... still no overflow.
Here is my question: Do I need to replace or clean the air filters? Ink will dry up and probably make air flow impossible after some time.
If I can clean them, what would be best way?
Please tell us more about your setup,
we know you have a CISS from whom how long what printer which inks, the more information the better..:)

lebac

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You were fast. :D

I had CISS installed in little less then a month ago, but during that time the printer (EPSON SX125) was in heavy use (printing photographs mainly at best quality). I would say about one third of the ink from the containers has been used. I have noticed ink riding up the air tubes from the start, but today is the first time I noticed it in air filters.

As for the make of the make of the CISS, No-name would be my guess (Standard Chinese model). ;)
Inks would be Epson pigment (DuraBrite) substitute. Again, I don't know the maker (but made mental note that next buy will be some branded ink substitute). :)

Since I can't be more specific on the model I have made some pics. Hope that helps:

Thank you once again.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The ciss is below printer level, right? Could you upload a picture of the whole setup? printer+ciss unit

lebac

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes, everything is on a table. CISS containers are on the same level as printer, so I gather they are actually a little bit below print head. Maybe that is the problem?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Either that or you have big fluctuations of air temperature in the area the ciss unit is located. Try and raise the ciss a little (1-2 cm) and see if the problem goes away.
You should replace the filters. If you can't, then wash them gently with warm water. When dry suck on one end of the filter. If air comes through then it's ok.

lebac

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I will do that. Thank you once again. :D

ashlyne

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just found this thread through a search, since the air filters on my CISS system started to fill up and overflow. I don't know how long they've been that way - I don't use it as often as I should, but they were fine at the beginning of the week. It's similar to "lebac's" system, only with 6 colors of ink, and I've had it for over a year problem-free. This is the first time the vents have backed up, and it's only on two of the inks; the other four are fine even though all 6 inks are about the same level. The containers are about 75% full; they were about 95% when I bought them.

First, I wanted to say thanks for all the information, and while I didn't follow all of the science jargon, I got the gist of what was happening and why. Secondly, I thought I'd share what I did yesterday, as it seems to have taken care of my problem, at least temporarily. Could be a a fluke, time will tell.

I removed and cleaned out the air filters. I removed the refill hole plugs, which relieved some of the pressure and I could see the built-up ink drop a tiny bit in that internal tube. But I didn't want to put the filters back on with that level still high. I picked up the bundle of inks and slowly raised it up, a little at a time, as I watched the ink levels drop in the internal tubes. When it got to the same level as the rest of the ink, I held it in place, inserted the air filters, and then replaced the rubber refill hole plugs. When I lowered the ink back to the same level as the printer, the internal tube stayed empty. I printed a couple pages and other than there being a few blobs of excess ink (probably from holding the system above the printer level), it was fine. I printed until there were no more ink blobs (another of pages) and it's working fine this morning. No ink back up in the internal tube or filter area.

I'll update if anything changes, but I'm crossing my fingers that this works. I love this system, it's worked great for me for a good while and I hope to keep using it.