Chromalife100 vs Chromalife100+ fading test, Update 18. June 2021

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Even if one would think that 3rd party inks shorten the lifetime of Canon printheads I cannot believe that all such inks would cause such effects within the same time frame , longevity of 3rd party inks vary widely, and I would expect the same in this regard.

The G650 printheads Canon QY6-8050/8057 run lower than 80€, I see a recommended sales price of 31€ but no availability at all, so actual pricing may be higher at this time.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
It seems like the bottled GI-53 OEM dye ink is currently only suitable for the Pixma Pro 100 and Pro 200 printers if you possess profiling equipment or am I wrong?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It seems like the bottled GI-53 OEM dye ink is currently only suitable for the Pixma Pro 100 and Pro 200 printers if you possess profiling equipment or am I wrong?

There are plenty printers which use CLI - Chromalife - cartridges, why shoudn't it be possible to use the GI-53 inks on these? I haven't seen significant hue changes wtih the GI-53 inks even vs. the Epson 106 inks, they seem to use very similar - or even the same ? - dye raw materials, and you would be able to do base line color/hue corrections via the driver if a profile is not possible. I see wider hue changes caused by different papers than by GI-53/Epson 106 inks. It's a different thing with HP bottled inks - e.g. GT-52 - they look visibly different w/o a proifle.

(GI-53 - numbers/names may vary between business regions in the Canon universe - GI-23 - GI-43 .... )

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I cannot believe that all such inks would cause such effects within the same time frame , longevity of 3rd party inks vary widely, and I would expect the same in this regard.
While I do agree that not all 3rd party inks are the same, some can be just coloured water, like ($12 for a set of filled carts and free P&P), ! but there are a number of ink suppliers that are well worth using, and not all of their inks cause print head issues.

Depending on the desktop model, some printers are much more prone to pigment black giving trouble with double imaging very early on, and later the colours follow suite, but to date there’s no confirmed evidence to suggest that the regular known suppliers has this issue.

It’s really a crap shoot, you save lots of money buying 3rd party inks, only to find you end up needing a new print head down the road, so the choice is up to the individual to weight up the odds, do I go 3rd party or do I stay on OEM. It’s nearly as hard to find a free dinner..

Me, I use what gives me less trouble and maintenance and adequate colour, after that everything else is secondary, but do your own homework and find the best ink for your printer, and remember price is not always the deciding factor..

Last edited:

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks guys for your considered replies.
Firstly my apologies as I was a few days late finding them and for some reason I've not picked up any reply in my inbox from printerknowledge.
I've noticed that the GI-53 inks in bottles are a 6 ink set with a red that isn't used in the Pro-100, 8 ink set.
Missing from the GI-53 6 ink set is the light grey and the two colors photo cyan and photo magenta that are part of the 8 ink CLI-42 cartridge set.
Is it permissible to water down the cyan, magenta and grey of the GI-53 set to get a close match to the CLI-42 set without using the red at all?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, the light/photo inks are missing in the GI-53 inkset; I'm in a similar situation with the Epson 106 inks which I use on a L1800 - the light inks are missing, but I can use a dilutant, a clear ink which works on Epson printers. I'm not aware of a clear ink base for Canon inks you could use .

It's not clear from the description that a clear ink like this one works with Canon inks

https://bchtechnologies.com/univers...parent-use-in-pigment-printer-ink-cartridges/

It is claimed to work with all inks of desktop printers

'It’s compatible with Pigment Ink. And works with all desktop printers.'

Only a test would show, a reference to pigment inks doesn't really help as long there is no colorant in this clear ink at all.

You may as well look up the material safety data sheet - MSDS - of Canon inks which would tell you the mix ratio of water and glykoles, and you can experiment on your own. I'm pretty sure that (destilled) water alone as a dilutant won't work.

Last edited:

roditch

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 2100
If you are a on refill. In addition there is good hope not killing the printheads anymore.
Hi Maximillian Very interesting. What ink and printer a4/a3 would you recommend for a photographer selling just a few prints. Many thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You are listed with an Epson 2100, a pretty old A3 printer running with pigment inks; are you planning to switch/upgrade to another printer ? Do you want to continue with pigment inks or switch to dye inks ? Do you think it's worth to invest into a new photo printer for just a few prints ?