Epson published a lengthy advertising paper about the superb features of Ecotank printers, one page addresses weaknesses of competitive printheads vs. the Epson Piezo technology, I cannot find the original link anymore, here a copy of the relevant page
View attachment 13179
I think the comparison to NASA rockets is not really appropriate -there is a difference in the consumed power and printheads do not ignite a propellant to propel the ink droplets out of the nozzles.
But the major part of the document gives a description of the internal complexity of a thermal printhead and the major reasons that they get used up over time. It should be clear from this description that the number of pages printed is not a valid usage indicator, it's the it's only the cum. number how often nozzles got fired.
Ink shots are actually counted in my old Pro-7600 and can be called up in the maint. menu, and I remember that the Brother firmware on my DCP-195C is counting inkshots as well . I'm not aware if Canon is doing something similar.