ChromaLife 100 vs. ChromaLife 100+ Fade Test

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Okay.. besides longevity the new set claims to have best color matching, so I might give it a try...
(hopefully like with all my earlier orders via paypal...)

While searching for large cartridges with OEM ink to refill small canon chromalife or epson claria home printers:
I found no canon large format printers running with dye ink - but there seem to be HP lfp's with the option of running dye. The problem is to find the right set of cartridge...because they would not label it like "useable also for home printers"...

So if someone knows a cartridge set for HP bubble jet print heads, which is definitely dye ink and containing 100ml or more (i.e. LFP cartridges) please let the forum know. Might be like chromalife in bottles..
"Might be like Chromalife in bottles." Well, that would be sweet. A lot of profiling would be needed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Okay.. besides longevity the new set claims to have best color matching, so I might give it a try...
(hopefully like with all my earlier orders via paypal...)

While searching for large cartridges with OEM ink to refill small canon chromalife or epson claria home printers:
I found no canon large format printers running with dye ink - but there seem to be HP lfp's with the option of running dye. The problem is to find the right set of cartridge...because they would not label it like "useable also for home printers"...

So if someone knows a cartridge set for HP bubble jet print heads, which is definitely dye ink and containing 100ml or more (i.e. LFP cartridges) please let the forum know. Might be like chromalife in bottles..
@martin0reg there are several large format Canon printers that use dye inks and you can get 130 ml OEM cartridges for more half the price of their smaller cousins.

Try the Prograf W8200 and W7200 models which are six colour machines.
Big Inks.PNG Click to enlarge..

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I spent some time poking around on the intertubes trying to find out what Canon WF dye printers used. No hint of any inks being labeled Chromalife, plus or no plus. There were both five and six cartridge systems.

What did annoy me is that on what blurb the dye inks were described as "extremely fade resistant." So where were these at the consumer level? Maybe they used HP's excellent dyes. Ha.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I spent some time poking around on the intertubes trying to find out what Canon WF dye printers used. No hint of any inks being labeled Chromalife, plus or no plus. There were both five and six cartridge systems...
Same question here..
@The Hat
Any speculation about the quality of the ink in 130/330ml BCI cartridges, Mr Canon?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@martin0reg I reckon it would work perfectly, I have not used it myself but I have used the pigment inks from the Prograf 6400W and have only just recently finished putting the last drops of black ink into my Pro 1.

So does it work, well I have all the confidence in it and I can recommend it as a good cheap source of genuine OEM ink.. :)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I just found some ink fading tests made for 3rd party manufacturer "peach" back in 2005, the early time of canon BCI-6 (without any "chroma life" label) and epson "claria"

http://www.buypeach.de/testreviews/17/pdf/Lichtechtheit_Canon_BCI6_UGRA.pdf
http://www.buypeach.de/testreviews/18/pdf/Lichtechtheit_Epson_R300_UGRA.pdf
- at that time canon BCI seems to fade much stronger than epson claria.

So let's hope that canon BCI dye ink of 2015 has improved lightfastness and is not the same ink like of 2005...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just found some ink fading tests made for 3rd party manufacturer "peach" back in 2005, the early time of canon BCI-6 (without any "chroma life" label) and epson "claria"
So let's hope that canon BCI dye ink of 2015 has improved lightfastness and is not the same ink like of 2005...
It’s probably still the same old stuff, so don’t hold your breath.. :(