ChromaLife 100 vs. ChromaLife 100+ Fade Test

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Pigment ink. There is no substitute. Check Hat's test out.
Just a generalization from reading Wilhelm and Aardenburg (??) tests. OK, (I'm sorta making this up for explanation,) so the HP dye inks are only good for 90 years and Epson pigments are good for more. But again, there's that concept of functional longetivity, will you want to look at that print for the next 90 years? Heck, even with my genes and good health, chances are I won't be around another thirty. Will my kids want that image on their wall. One guess.

A philosophy of mine, going way back to the wet darkroom: Just because something is archivally processed doesn't mean it's worth keeping a long time, nor does it make an artistically great print.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The "opaque mask" I used was taking manilla folder stock and spray painting it black on both sides. Surely that's opaque to some very tiny percentage at worst. The difference between that and foil would be minimal to none, I'm sure.
Yes, I'm sure it was opaque to visible light, and it's probably similar to what I would have used. But nevertheless it looks like it didn't prevent fading of the Chromalife 100. That's why I think fading under that strip was either heat or UV, but not visible light.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Pigment ink. There is no substitute. Check Hat's test out.
Yep. It's generally better. I suspect we've all had something valuable fade in a shorter time than we wish, except perhaps a few young folks. I know I have. I had some dye ink disappear completely in a year in subdued CFL light.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I'm sure it was opaque to visible light, and it's probably similar to what I would have used. But nevertheless it looks like it didn't prevent fading of the Chromalife 100. That's why I think fading under that strip was either heat or UV, but not visible light.

The point of the test was to find out if the + ink was better than the "not +". It proved that that is the case.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The point of the test was to find out if the + ink was better than the "not +". It proved that that is the case.
With my test the object was to SHOW that all pigment inks are far better than any OEM dye could ever be, and longevity is not an illusion but a reality..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Pigment ink. There is no substitute...
But what about your own new EV6 ink set for epson claria?
It is said to have significant better UV resistance than the predecessor and I was just about to order a set... any comments on EV6 from users here on printerknowledge?

And what about canon compatible dye - no similar improvements from 3rd party makers in sight?
(compared to OEM dye, not to pigment, what indeed would be apples and oranges..)

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
EV6 is still open to ozone. Remember that ozone resistance decreases inversely to UV resistance. So if you make a dye ink resistant to sunlight, then there better be low amounts of ozone and vice versa. This can explain a lot of varied results between users....when you don't know what you're dealing with will produce different results.
If you want to use dye ink and want it to last, then the best solution is to use SWELLABLE paper which protects the dye molecules by making it airtight, or sealing the dye in the gel layer. Short of swellable, in as gas tight a frame as possible. Check if HP dye results are used in conjunction with swellable paper.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Okay.. besides longevity the new set claims to have best color matching, so I might give it a try...
(hopefully like with all my earlier orders via paypal...)

While searching for large cartridges with OEM ink to refill small canon chromalife or epson claria home printers:
I found no canon large format printers running with dye ink - but there seem to be HP lfp's with the option of running dye. The problem is to find the right set of cartridge...because they would not label it like "useable also for home printers"...

So if someone knows a cartridge set for HP bubble jet print heads, which is definitely dye ink and containing 100ml or more (i.e. LFP cartridges) please let the forum know. Might be like chromalife in bottles..

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
EV6 is still open to ozone. Remember that ozone resistance decreases inversely to UV resistance. So if you make a dye ink resistant to sunlight, then there better be low amounts of ozone and vice versa. This can explain a lot of varied results between users....when you don't know what you're dealing with will produce different results.
If you want to use dye ink and want it to last, then the best solution is to use SWELLABLE paper which protects the dye molecules by making it airtight, or sealing the dye in the gel layer. Short of swellable, in as gas tight a frame as possible. Check if HP dye results are used in conjunction with swellable paper.

Well, that UV vs. Ozone see-saw certainly might explain some of the inconsistent results I sometimes get.

As I reported about a month ago, the only swellable polymer paper still on the market is HP Everyday. Thin stock, but a shortage of profiles if you aren't using an HP printer, of course. What's really weird is that they let pigment folks just go ahead and use this. Letter size only (here.)

There are some old stocks of the HP Premium in different sizes still around, but one day it will all be gone. I guess the demand for instant dry, and the lack of education about pigment inks on gels just killed them.

Of course, gas degradation is pretty easily solved by spray coating and/or mounting behind glass/acrylic.