Chipless CLI-8 PGI-5 Ink Cartridges

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My friend gave me a box full of chipless CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges. I have a chip resetter when I refill my Canon OEM cartridges.

Some store sells the chip extender. The extender is designed to use with the chipless cartridges without resetting the chip. But I do not like to disable the ink level warning system on my printers. Beside, it is impossible to install the chip extender on the Canon multifunction printer such as MX850.

Is there any easy way to use these chipless cartridges without removing the chip from the old cartridges and gluing it to the new cartridge?

Currently, I am using double sided tape to glue the chip on the cartridge. I like to hear from you what you use to glue the chip.

Is Canon use the same chip for all colors? If yes, I may buy a few chipped compatible cartridges of the same color in order to get the quantity discount as I like to get a spare set of inexpensive chips.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It's a different chip for each color.

Here's the easiest way to attach a chip. If you see the two plastic terminals to mount the chip onto, do that then hit it for 1 seconds with a solder iron and they will stay put. Much easier than trying to glue or tape them on.

If you find a friendly local refiller you can offer to buy the chips from them. I pay about 2 bucks for a chip locally.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Embguy,

how is your experience with your new MX850 ? I purchased this printer too about the same time you did. Why do you think you cannot install these chip extenders inside the MX850 ? It is actually the same printhead used in the IP4500 and there you can install these chip extenders: is it maybe the fax will not work when ink levels are down ?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist,
The chip extender has a something to mate with the square hole on the bottom of the print head holder. Without looking straight down, it is hard to locate the square hole. The MX850 scan platform can be open at 45 deg. With the help of a dentist mirror, one may be able to install the extender. I have not try. I do not know how easy is to install it without looking straight down.

I like my MX850. I love the duplex ADF. It is a time saver. It is slower than single sided copying. But I can "set it and forget it". I can starts it and continue with my work. It save time by not having to collate the pages after copying both side.

It does not have the auto turn off feature like the one used in my i550 amd iP4500. But it use only 3W of power when it is on standby measured by my energy meter.

EM100_Photos.jpg