Cheapest flatbed printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sgdotcom said:
Thanks mate for the link, but image transfer is really not for me. I would prefer less fuss as I am not exactly a "handy" person.

If a silk screen printer is affordable, i would rather take one.. Anyone?
What I suggested earlier was an Epson and Canon printers with a front feeder using pigment inks.
Most A3+ printers are not cheap to purchase or to run with OEM inks but if a screen printer is out then its the only option..:)

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My sincere apologies, may I know what do you mean by front feeder? does this mean that the material goes in from the front and the output comes out from the back, material will not be bend? Sorry for the newbie, tried to google online..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sgdotcom said:
My sincere apologies, may I know what do you mean by front feeder? does this mean that the material goes in from the front and the output comes out from the back, material will not be bend? Sorry for the newbie, tried to google online..
I use a Pro9500 Mk ll that uses this method of feeding thick materials.
The idea is you load your material in at the front and when the printer starts up the material is then pulled through to the back
then printed normally and exits the front again, just like a CD tray only bigger..:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess printing your images on photo paper and glueing them to the wood is not acceptable. Wood grain must be visible?

If using an unmodified normal inkjet printer, printing on transfer materials is not acceptable, then I'm out of ideas :(

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
that kinda weird to me, as long as it works fine.. I suppose the printer can accept in such a way, what is the thickest material you have tried before and does it work well? Many thanks!

The Hat said:
sgdotcom said:
I use a Pro9500 Mk ll that uses this method of feeding thick materials.
The idea is you load your material in at the front and when the printer starts up the material is then pulled through to the back
then printed normally and exits the front again, just like a CD tray only bigger..:)
Nope, the reason of printing on the wood is due to its pretty wood grain. It enhance the vintage look..

PeterBJ said:
I guess printing your images on photo paper and glueing them to the wood is not acceptable. Wood grain must be visible?

If using an unmodified normal inkjet printer, printing on transfer materials is not acceptable, then I'm out of ideas :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sgdotcom
what is the thickest material you have tried before and does it work well
Nope, the reason of printing on the wood is due to its pretty wood grain.
I think the max thickness is 2mm but dont quote me of that because I have only put 600 gm board through it.

If you are only looking for the wood grain effect then why dont you take a couple of good photos of the board grain
and using Photoshop print that onto a lighter cream or white board instead? :)

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ha Ha, I need the natural wood grain to be visible, I need that that to be inserted in a container..

The Hat said:
sgdotcom
what is the thickest material you have tried before and does it work well
Nope, the reason of printing on the wood is due to its pretty wood grain.
I think the max thickness is 2mm but dont quote me of that because I have only put 600 gm board through it.

If you are only looking for the wood grain effect then why dont you take a couple of good photos of the board grain
and using Photoshop print that onto a lighter cream or white board instead? :)

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Regarding the water transfer, the piece I am going to print on is rather small, 4cm in diameter.. With its small area, I am worried that the print may be too small to have it done properly.. furthermore, it is unprocessed wood so I am worry that it may turn bad after some time..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I checked instructions for inkjet T-shirt transfer paper and found that it was also suitable for transfer onto wood.

I don't know where you are located, these instructions are from a US site. Note first paragraph, Recommended Applications. : http://www.misterinkjet.com/tshirt_transfer_instructions.htm

Here is the product.: http://www.misterinkjet.com/tshirt-transfers.htm I find the price fair, 10pcs. 8"x11" sheets for 10 $. A lot of your medallions(?) could be printed using these.

If I were to print on small wooden chips this would be the first thing I would try, before considering other methods.

Using water slide decals might necessitate lacquering the wood, and the decal might look just like the applied label it actually is.

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am from Singapore...

I found a pro 9500 which is extremely cheap at USD$300.. Brand new, should I try it firsT?

There are a lot of hollow spaces in between the image and words, I read that ink transfers require a background to look nicely done.

Was wondering about the ink contrast on the wood, maybe buying some spray that can enhance inkjet performance on other materials

Latest posts