1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: 3D Metal Printing
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cheapest flatbed printer

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by sgdotcom, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

sgdotcom Getting Fingers Dirty

I need to print a image on a 1mm wood sheet small size.. Can anyone suggest which printer should I get? I think the printer should be flatbed since I cannot insert the wood frm the rear tray,

This is a home based project, so the cheapest, the better. I want to buy the printer instead of sending to the printing company to print as I am going to print on them from time to time.

please advise, thanks!

2. Feb 7, 2012
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I think youre out of luck with your search.
    All of the printers that are capable of printing on thick material are the expensive ones.

So looking for cheap flatbed inkjet printer is out of the question,
    you could try a small screen printer instead which would be better for longevity with its acrylic inks.. :drool

3. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

Is there any small screen printer affordable for home use?

4. Feb 7, 2012
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    I think the cheapest solution would be printing on T-shirt transfer sheets, using your normal inkjet printer, and then transfer the image to the wood.

10 or more years ago I did some experiments with an old flatbed HP Pen Plotter for making printed circuit boards. I don't know if you may be able to find one of these old plotters at a flea market? Picture here: http://www.hpmuseum.net/images/7475A-37.jpg

The pens are expensive and hard to find but I made an adapter from a used pen: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_hp_pen_adapter.jpg

These old plotters use serial connection, so you will need a computer with a COM Port and a telephone modem cable. Here is some info on using the plotter for PCB making: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/35024-pcb-making-plotter.html

Another approach might be to modify an ordinary inkjet printer to accomodate a sheet of wood: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...0951-hacking_printer_directly_print_pcbs.html

This old thread about printing on wood may have more suggestions: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3933

5. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

I think it is a little too hard for me to mod the printers.. thanks for the link shown.

Is there any brand of printers I can check it out?

6. Feb 7, 2012
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
  7. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

Thanks mate for the link, but image transfer is really not for me. I would prefer less fuss as I am not exactly a "handy" person.

If a silk screen printer is affordable, i would rather take one.. Anyone?

8. Feb 7, 2012
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    I did a google search on "flatbed screen printer".

These machines are big and expensive and professional skills are needed to operate and maintain them. Much more skill is needed than needed for DIY silk screen printing. You will also need a darkroom with a reprocamera, lith film and chemicals. You will also need photo resist and an UV light source for preparing the screen. Maybe The Hat can advise on a small machine, suitable for home use?

Even if transfer materials for inkjet printers are expensive, to me they seem the only practical way to go.

If you don't like the T-shirt transfer method, for fear of scorching the wood, you could checkout the other transfer methods suggested in this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3933

An acrylic fixative spray could maybe be used to make water slide decals waterproof.

BTW what is the purpose of printing on wood? Maybe someone will have the right solution for you, if we know the purpose :)

9. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

Actually I am printing on small circular plates diameter around 4cm and use them as indoor decorations.. I google and found that they are rather expensive. Transferring materials is a bit hard and troublesome to do esp on a small surface.

10. Feb 7, 2012
    sgdotcom

They are used more of a art work, words and small images will be printed on them..