Cheapest flatbed printer

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I need to print a image on a 1mm wood sheet small size.. Can anyone suggest which printer should I get? I think the printer should be flatbed since I cannot insert the wood frm the rear tray,

This is a home based project, so the cheapest, the better. I want to buy the printer instead of sending to the printing company to print as I am going to print on them from time to time.

please advise, thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sgdotcom said:
I need to print a image on a 1mm wood sheet small size.. Can anyone suggest which printer should I get? I think the printer should be flatbed since I cannot insert the wood frm the rear tray,

This is a home based project, so the cheapest, the better. I want to buy the printer instead of sending to the printing company to print as I am going to print on them from time to time.

please advise, thanks!
I think youre out of luck with your search.
All of the printers that are capable of printing on thick material are the expensive ones.

So looking for cheap flatbed inkjet printer is out of the question,
you could try a small screen printer instead which would be better for longevity with its acrylic inks.. :drool

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is there any small screen printer affordable for home use?

The Hat said:
sgdotcom said:

please advise, thanks!
I think youre out of luck with your search.
All of the printers that are capable of printing on thick material are the expensive ones.

So looking for cheap flatbed inkjet printer is out of the question,
you could try a small screen printer instead which would be better for longevity with its acrylic inks.. :drool

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
sgdotcom wrote:

please advise, thanks!
I think the cheapest solution would be printing on T-shirt transfer sheets, using your normal inkjet printer, and then transfer the image to the wood.

10 or more years ago I did some experiments with an old flatbed HP Pen Plotter for making printed circuit boards. I don't know if you may be able to find one of these old plotters at a flea market? Picture here: http://www.hpmuseum.net/images/7475A-37.jpg

The pens are expensive and hard to find but I made an adapter from a used pen: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_hp_pen_adapter.jpg

These old plotters use serial connection, so you will need a computer with a COM Port and a telephone modem cable. Here is some info on using the plotter for PCB making: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/35024-pcb-making-plotter.html

Another approach might be to modify an ordinary inkjet printer to accomodate a sheet of wood: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...0951-hacking_printer_directly_print_pcbs.html

This old thread about printing on wood may have more suggestions: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3933

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think it is a little too hard for me to mod the printers.. thanks for the link shown.

Is there any brand of printers I can check it out?

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks mate for the link, but image transfer is really not for me. I would prefer less fuss as I am not exactly a "handy" person.

If a silk screen printer is affordable, i would rather take one.. Anyone?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I did a google search on "flatbed screen printer".

These machines are big and expensive and professional skills are needed to operate and maintain them. Much more skill is needed than needed for DIY silk screen printing. You will also need a darkroom with a reprocamera, lith film and chemicals. You will also need photo resist and an UV light source for preparing the screen. Maybe The Hat can advise on a small machine, suitable for home use?

Even if transfer materials for inkjet printers are expensive, to me they seem the only practical way to go.

If you don't like the T-shirt transfer method, for fear of scorching the wood, you could checkout the other transfer methods suggested in this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3933

An acrylic fixative spray could maybe be used to make water slide decals waterproof.

BTW what is the purpose of printing on wood? Maybe someone will have the right solution for you, if we know the purpose :)

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Actually I am printing on small circular plates diameter around 4cm and use them as indoor decorations.. I google and found that they are rather expensive. Transferring materials is a bit hard and troublesome to do esp on a small surface.

sgdotcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
They are used more of a art work, words and small images will be printed on them..