Cheap printers... Short life?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Which PRO printer has a back-up battery? And what type of battery is it? (Lithium, lead acid, ??)
The Pro 1 comes with a battery back-up and I am assuming the Pro 100 and Pro 10 do also, the Pro 9000 and Pro 9500 do not however, it’s a Lithium type Battery..

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Pro 1 comes with a battery back-up and I am assuming the Pro 100 and Pro 10 do also, the Pro 9000 and Pro 9500 do not however, it’s a Lithium type Battery..

Is it one of those "coin" type cells, typically used as a CMOS battery in computers?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If it's not mechanical, look at the rollers. I use rubber rejuvenator every year or so to keep feed rollers working well. It's kept many friends and clients from trashing printers and only takes a few minutes. The results can amaze. Apply it outdoors or a well ventilated area. Two examples below -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9X3KS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00363M0TC/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the rubber rollers in the failed iP3600 are like new, the printer has only done a few prints as shown by this EEPROM print from service mode, click to enlarge:

iP3600-EEPROM.jpg

The printer has only printed 146 pages, so I think this is a very early failure, much worse than that reported by Lucas28.
Only recorded errors are cassette empty, rear tray empty and paper output door closed, no indicating of a mechanical or electronic error. When I inspected the rubber rollers they looked like new, but as I have some rubber roller cleaner of another brand "AF Platenclene", I can give cleaning the rollers a try. I have used the AF Platenclene with success on a couple of Canon and HP printers, and I agree that these products can work wonders with rubber rollers, see this.