CD printing software

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Hi all. Here's a heads-up on my 'attempt-to-use-my-new-MG7760-to-print-CD-labels'.

Dunno what I was getting all het up about! After mulling over which software to use, I took the path of least resistance and installed Canon's CD_LabelPrint 1.4.2 (9.56MB) onto my W7 machine, located my 10-year-old archive of .cld files, selected one, set the inner circle size to the smallest available to make the most of my 'wide print' Verbatim discs, set the printer to MG7760, (had wake up the snoozing printer), hit 'Print', followed the prompts on the printer LCD and...VOYLER! One most-excellently printed CD. Can't believe it. If anyone wants the software, I can up it somewhere. Let me know, huh?

Much thanks to all of you nice folks. I'll try out the other suggested software in due course, but for the moment, I'm very, very cool :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the update and the info that CD Labelprint also works with the newest printers :). I don't know why Canon phased it out, in my opinion it is much better and easier to use than the CD print function in Canon Easy Photo Print. It looks like newer versions of Easy Photo Print now also supports older printers like iP4000 and iP4300, but I prefer the older program.

One question: Was the patch aomwin110ea23.exe necessary for CD Labelprint to work with your printer?

I downloaded and installed "My Image Garden" but I can't get it to print a CD with an iP4300, it prints a sheet of paper with the CD layout which I imported into the program as a .jpg file. Does anybody know if My Image Garden supports disk printing with BCI-3e/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge generations of Canon printers?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So we now have a very cool cool cat @canon-do, :cool: and thank you for your heads up on the CD labelPrint 1.42, others will certainly benefit from your update.

@PeterBJ as far as I know the “My Image garden App.” has a bug in it to stop users of third party inks from using it, so it may also effect these who don’t use the newer generation of chips from the 551 going backwards.

WE still don’t know if it will work with purchased cartridges that have been reset and are not the setup ones that came with the new printers..:hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have two printers that should qualify for getting premium content from the Canon Creative Park server. You can only download if you are using OEM cartridges. I don't know if a reset cartridge will qualify, and what about third party cartridges?

I have a Canon MG5550 that uses third party cartridges, PGI-550/CLI-551 compatible. These cartridges are accepted by the printer and ink level monitoring works normally. I also have a Canon MG5150 that for the moment uses 3 new Canon OEM cartridges and 2 refilled Canon OEM cartridges. I don't (yet?) have a resetter for the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges so ink level monitoring is disabled for these two cartridges. I am sure this will be rejected, but I can give "Creative Park Premium" a try.

I don't know if Canon looks at the EEPROM in the printer and checks if ink level monitoring is or maybe even has been but is no longer disabled? Or is a resat cartridge somehow identifiable? IIRC @mikling wrote something about that.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried accessing "Creative Park Premium" from "My Image Garden" using the MG5550 that is using Compatible cartridges. As expected I was denied access, with the explanation that no Canon OEM cartridges were found in my printer.

It seems @mikling is right in this post:
In addition to this, Roy Sletcher and Jose also showed/reported to us years ago that Canon would not accept reset chips as authorization to use some of their online software. Their software/system is aware of reset chips and will only accept real and not reset OEM chips as authorization. That says a LOT as to what is possible. Again a small matter but it warns of easy thwarts.

I then tried the MG5150 with 3 new OEM cartridges and 2 refilled but not resat cartridges. I might not have disabled ink level monitoring, but I have had to accept a warning that the cartridges were low on ink or probably empty, before I could print.

I was surprised as I was granted access to the "Creative Park Premium". But the content was a disappointment, nothing of it was worth using ink and paper to print. The free and unrestricted "Creative Park" (without Premium) is better in my opinion. I don't understand this.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the info. The patch might not be necessary for newer Canon printers, as CD printing is now also allowed for American printers. Some patent might have expired.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
CD printing software: Here's a heads-up on my last heads-up :)
After vociferously extolling the virtues of Canon's CD-Label Print, I've reluctantly had to do an about-face.

I was wrong - the software doesn't cut it. On my new MG7760, anyway.

Problem was, I couldn't get it to accurately center an image onto the disc, no matter how much I fiddled with it. Okay, my basic CD label template is probably a little demanding, because it consists of an outer double color ring with several 1px black strokes, plus a 20mm central 1px black ring to delineate the hub, and if it's not centered correctly, it stands out like...um, canine cojones.

Next I tried msmart's solution of printing directly from Adobe (in my case, Photoshop CS6 - he uses Elements, I think). But while PS6 appeared to have the capacity to do the job, I got frustrated after hours of unsuccessful printing configurations (and jugs of ink) and gave up.

Finally, as a last resort, I fell back on SureThing 6 Gold, which I'd previously shelved because I'm essentially lazy (and geriatrically set in my ways) and couldn't face the learning curve.

Well - to abbreviate a long story - it worked. My lordly Ringed template printed out perfectly centered on the test discs. The only problem I have is trying to understand the difference between Surething's .std and .stt files. In my humble opinion, software writers are rarely able to create comprehensible Help files. But then, nothing about computers is ever easy, is it?

Much thanks to jtoolman for suggesting SureThing.

PS: Actually, CD-Label Print is still useful. As PeterBJ pointed out, it will open my old .cld files, which I can then 'save-as image' to yield a .jpg that I can use in SureThing.