1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

CD printing software

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by canon-do, May 26, 2016.

1. Jun 2, 2016
    canon-do

canon-do Getting Fingers Dirty

Printer Model:
    Canon MX726 and MG7760
    Hi all. Here's a heads-up on my 'attempt-to-use-my-new-MG7760-to-print-CD-labels'.

Dunno what I was getting all het up about! After mulling over which software to use, I took the path of least resistance and installed Canon's CD_LabelPrint 1.4.2 (9.56MB) onto my W7 machine, located my 10-year-old archive of .cld files, selected one, set the inner circle size to the smallest available to make the most of my 'wide print' Verbatim discs, set the printer to MG7760, (had wake up the snoozing printer), hit 'Print', followed the prompts on the printer LCD and...VOYLER! One most-excellently printed CD. Can't believe it. If anyone wants the software, I can up it somewhere. Let me know, huh?

Much thanks to all of you nice folks. I'll try out the other suggested software in due course, but for the moment, I'm very, very cool :)

stratman, The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  2. Jun 3, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Thank you very much for the update and the info that CD Labelprint also works with the newest printers :). I don't know why Canon phased it out, in my opinion it is much better and easier to use than the CD print function in Canon Easy Photo Print. It looks like newer versions of Easy Photo Print now also supports older printers like iP4000 and iP4300, but I prefer the older program.

One question: Was the patch aomwin110ea23.exe necessary for CD Labelprint to work with your printer?

I downloaded and installed "My Image Garden" but I can't get it to print a CD with an iP4300, it prints a sheet of paper with the CD layout which I imported into the program as a .jpg file. Does anybody know if My Image Garden supports disk printing with BCI-3e/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge generations of Canon printers?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. Jun 3, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    So we now have a very cool cool cat @canon-do, :cool: and thank you for your heads up on the CD labelPrint 1.42, others will certainly benefit from your update.

@PeterBJ as far as I know the “My Image garden App.” has a bug in it to stop users of third party inks from using it, so it may also effect these who don’t use the newer generation of chips from the 551 going backwards.

WE still don’t know if it will work with purchased cartridges that have been reset and are not the setup ones that came with the new printers..:hu

4. Jun 3, 2016
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    I have two printers that should qualify for getting premium content from the Canon Creative Park server. You can only download if you are using OEM cartridges. I don't know if a reset cartridge will qualify, and what about third party cartridges?

I have a Canon MG5550 that uses third party cartridges, PGI-550/CLI-551 compatible. These cartridges are accepted by the printer and ink level monitoring works normally. I also have a Canon MG5150 that for the moment uses 3 new Canon OEM cartridges and 2 refilled Canon OEM cartridges. I don't (yet?) have a resetter for the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges so ink level monitoring is disabled for these two cartridges. I am sure this will be rejected, but I can give "Creative Park Premium" a try.

I don't know if Canon looks at the EEPROM in the printer and checks if ink level monitoring is or maybe even has been but is no longer disabled? Or is a resat cartridge somehow identifiable? IIRC @mikling wrote something about that.

The Hat likes this.
  5. Jun 3, 2016
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    I tried accessing "Creative Park Premium" from "My Image Garden" using the MG5550 that is using Compatible cartridges. As expected I was denied access, with the explanation that no Canon OEM cartridges were found in my printer.

It seems @mikling is right in this post:
    I then tried the MG5150 with 3 new OEM cartridges and 2 refilled but not resat cartridges. I might not have disabled ink level monitoring, but I have had to accept a warning that the cartridges were low on ink or probably empty, before I could print.

I was surprised as I was granted access to the "Creative Park Premium". But the content was a disappointment, nothing of it was worth using ink and paper to print. The free and unrestricted "Creative Park" (without Premium) is better in my opinion. I don't understand this.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    The Hat likes this.
  6. Jun 5, 2016
    canon-do

Printer Model:
    Canon MX726 and MG7760
    Sorry, PeterBJ, I didn't see your question.
    No, I didn't need to use the aomwin110ea23 patch. The whole exercise was disconcertingly simple :)

stratman, The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  7. Jun 5, 2016
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    Thank you for the info. The patch might not be necessary for newer Canon printers, as CD printing is now also allowed for American printers. Some patent might have expired.

8. Jun 25, 2016
    canon-do

Printer Model:
    Canon MX726 and MG7760
    CD printing software: Here's a heads-up on my last heads-up :)
    After vociferously extolling the virtues of Canon's CD-Label Print, I've reluctantly had to do an about-face.

I was wrong - the software doesn't cut it. On my new MG7760, anyway.

Problem was, I couldn't get it to accurately center an image onto the disc, no matter how much I fiddled with it. Okay, my basic CD label template is probably a little demanding, because it consists of an outer double color ring with several 1px black strokes, plus a 20mm central 1px black ring to delineate the hub, and if it's not centered correctly, it stands out like...um, canine cojones.

Next I tried msmart's solution of printing directly from Adobe (in my case, Photoshop CS6 - he uses Elements, I think). But while PS6 appeared to have the capacity to do the job, I got frustrated after hours of unsuccessful printing configurations (and jugs of ink) and gave up.

Finally, as a last resort, I fell back on SureThing 6 Gold, which I'd previously shelved because I'm essentially lazy (and geriatrically set in my ways) and couldn't face the learning curve.

Well - to abbreviate a long story - it worked. My lordly Ringed template printed out perfectly centered on the test discs. The only problem I have is trying to understand the difference between Surething's .std and .stt files. In my humble opinion, software writers are rarely able to create comprehensible Help files. But then, nothing about computers is ever easy, is it?

Much thanks to jtoolman for suggesting SureThing.

PS: Actually, CD-Label Print is still useful. As PeterBJ pointed out, it will open my old .cld files, which I can then 'save-as image' to yield a .jpg that I can use in SureThing.

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  9. Oct 30, 2016
    KGTheMc

KGTheMc Getting Fingers Dirty

PeterBJ likes this.
  10. Oct 31, 2016
    canon-do

Printer Model:
    Canon MX726 and MG7760
    KGTheMc, thanks for the template :cool:)

The Hat likes this.