Can't align one of the colors on i9900 print head

drinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When printing the test pattern for manual print head alignment, for channel D (green) all of the 11 possible selections look exactly the same. They all consist of disticnt vertical lines with no change among the choices. I'm supposed to select the one that best shows a solid block but none do. All the other channels on the printout are ok the best chioce being 0 or 1 for them all. Didn't have this problem 6 months ago.

Tried deep cleening once, nozzel check printout looks good. I haven't seen a problem with my prints (yet).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I had the same problem on my I9900 a few years ago on PM. IIRC, the problem was that the cart was starving the print head on PM. You didn't say if you were using OEM, 3rd party carts or refilling. If you are refilling, who made the green cart that you are using, whose ink are you using and how many times have your refilled that cart? Have you tried another cart?

drinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I just tried a new cart, no improvement, no change. I'm using OEM ink, allways have. I noticed that the ink level monitor for green did not change when I replaced the cart. I've printed out a few pictures and the green level is at one third even though there is a fresh full tank in there. Not sure if this is related to the alignment problem.

-Dave

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The cartridge levels won't reset until you get the low ink warning and you replace it with a full one. The ink levels don't have anything to do with the problem you are experiencing.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If your nozzle check (service mode) is perfect and you don't see any problems in your photos then forget about it if it does not have any real impact.

drinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The nozzle check still looks good and I don't see any obvious problem with my prints. Because green is not aligned in the test printout does this then mean that green is not being layed down in the proper position on my prints? This concerns me. Is there another test pattern or print I can use to evaluate how the misalignment is affecting my prints?

Thanks.

-Dave

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Back when I owned an i9900, I ran some tests to see under what conditions the red and green inks were used. See this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1977

Unless you use one of the paper types and print qualities that actually uses the green (or red) ink, it won't matter if the green (or red) is misaligned. In other words, if you want to see if your printer really is misaligned, you need to use a paper type and print quality that uses the green ink. You have two choices: Photo Paper Pro (either quality) and Glossy Photo Paper in the High quality.