Canon USA statement on Grey Market Products

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Incidentally, the idea is that it is less costly to the National Health Service (wonderful facility as you get older), to feed us the pills, than to pick up the pieces.
Prevention may be less expensive than treatment, but not always.

The UK NHS and the American NIH governmental medical agencies look at "QALY's" which are Quality-Adjusted Life Years that contrast your life against costs of no treatment versus doing treatment of some kind. Bean counter heaven. It is a method of denying treatment.

Example, the accepted guidelines for breast cancer screening were upended a couple years ago when the USPSTF, a governmental organization, recommended that screening was generally not needed as often as the American Cancer Society, the OB-GYN society (ACOG) and others recommended. The USPSTF determined by meta-analysis that the costs of traditional yearly screening and the costs from false positives were significantly greater than the costs of fewer mammogram screenings overall in the general populations (though certain target populations would be recommended to have the traditional schedule of testing) despite missed cancers and resultant deaths and more expensive treatments required at later stages of disease.

Health care can be cheap, fast, good. But you can only have 2 of the 3 at any one time. Which two do you choose?

Old English saying: Penny wise, Pound foolish.

Newer American saying: You can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Very much appreciated @stratman, an excellent resume. I suspect our physician (overworked I think), may be aware of such matters, he takes an interest in any sets of home BP readings we offer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I suspect our physician (overworked I think), may be aware of such matters, he takes an interest in any sets of home BP readings we offer.
And rightly so as the current literature supports home monitoring of BP as a potential valuable tool. :thumbsup

BTW, I edited the previous post for clarity:

"The USPSTF determined by meta-analysis that the costs of traditional yearly screening and the costs from false positives were significantly greater than the costs of fewer mammogram screenings overall in the general populations (though certain target populations would be recommended to have the traditional schedule of testing) despite missed cancers and resultant deaths and more expensive treatments required at later stages of disease."

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am sorry, but what do you mean with gray market: for me gray market is what called "parallel import" in Dutch, thus not via official distributing agencies, but the products are 100% genuine and original ones. Do you mean aftermarket (copies) of the original product.

In my pharmacy I deal with both parallel import (gray import) (original ones, but purchased from another EU-country, but cheaper) and generics (copies of the original). although generics should comply with the EU-regulation concerning bio-availibility, nevertheless there are still some complaints about the used tablet ingredients, like some food dyes to color the tablet coatings (allergies), not able to break the tablets etc. Sometimes customers prefer the generic medication, because it is for example the divisibility of tablets or a better taste of the melting tablet.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Boy, has THIS thread wandered from inkjets!

Example of a USA Gray Market/Parallel Import inkjet printer---Genuine Canon Inkjet Printer sold in the USA through a non-Canon USA distribution channel.

Generic Inkjet Printer---no such beast that I know of! (Although Canon might consider all the other manufacturers "generic")

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In my experience, grey market in the USA typically means products manufactured by the OEM but distributed through non-authorized outlets or those designated for a different (foreign) market but are sold in the US. No OEM warranty applies.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Prevention may be less expensive than treatment, but not always.

The UK NHS and the American NIH governmental medical agencies look at "QALY's" which are Quality-Adjusted Life Years that contrast your life against costs of no treatment versus doing treatment of some kind. Bean counter heaven. It is a method of denying treatment.

Example, the accepted guidelines for breast cancer screening were upended a couple years ago when the USPSTF, a governmental organization, recommended that screening was generally not needed as often as the American Cancer Society, the OB-GYN society (ACOG) and others recommended.

Now I had to google USPSTF!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Do you know what, I’d love it there was even the tiniest bit of Canon grey market sold here, it might be a darn sight cheaper that what they charge for their Coloured market..? :eek:

They tend to fleece us here for all of their products and the only alternative is to shop on line, which in turn keeps the home market very small, @3dogs thinks that they are the only ones to get screwed.:mad:

To get my Pro 1 fixed I had to prove where I had bought the printer first by providing them with the invoice before they would touch it, the darn thing was not even under warrantee, also I’d have no problems buying grey market and to hell with their warrantee..:drool

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Undoubtedly governments are responsible parties to the costs of your printers. Tax this, VAT that, tariff whatever. Maybe a little less invective towards Canon and more for government that wants to be all, do all, take all on your behalf. Or aren't you taxed enough already?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is purely down to the way that Canon set their prices, in a nutshell they do a Sony on them by not letting their agents sell below their own fixed price +/- a couple of %.

Local taxes have no bearing on this set price, once that’s established then our wonderful government can apply their generous tariffs (Tax).. :tongue