Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

P. S. Apparently there are some guys that reckon the printer can tell when you’re not using OEM ink.
. :)

No, but someone who refilled has also reset the chip ... ;)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Lots of Epson drivers display nag screens once you insert non-OEM cartridges - refill or 3rd party ones -'Dear customer - be informed that the use of non-Epson cartridges may cause print quality problems etc............' and this every time again with every cartridge change, so it is apparently easy for the firmware/driver to recognize that condition.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No, but someone who refilled has also reset the chip
Yes, Guys using non OEM chips could run into problems at a later date…
'Dear customer - be informed that the use of non-Epson cartridges may cause print quality problems etc............' and this every time again with every cartridge change, so it is apparently easy for the firmware/driver to recognize that condition.
As to why Canon don’t do that is a mystery, but you do get the nagging pop ups each time you go to print something, when you have disabled the ink monitoring..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Everybody resets the OEM chips in the PRO-10.
Is this the same with Epson, meaning a resetted OEM chips can be distinguished from a new one ?

Canon nags me too "cartridge could be empty" when I print with the Maxify and the ARC chip shows empty.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think every manufacturer - Canon - Epson - HP - Brother - handles the non-OEM/refill/chip issues differently - the Epson non-OEM flag may be used to deny warranty claims by the customers.
Epson cartridges for desk top printers are typically not used for refill, they are spongeless and contain a membrane filter which cannot easily be bypassed. You either use one way 3rd party cartridges or dedicated refill cartridges for Epson printers, and Epson drivers don't let you deactivate the ink level counter. You can buy a firmware hack to get the ink counters disabled - a chip-free printing mode which makes sense in connection with a CISS.

Orfeous

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10/iP4600
OK, just discovered this site after I tried to install the new firmware. I got the attached error, which after I reading the threads maybe a good thing. My printer works fine, I use Canon ink, at least I think it is. Although I have several low ink warnings. My USB seems fine, any ideas, in case I have a stay at home moment.

Same error here.. tried on PC and on Mac, several usb cables, redownloaded firmware files etc.. i did everything.
Contacted Canon's worthless support center about it. Their reply was to try another usb cable, disable firewall, try on another computer. Nothing else. It was like replies from chat bots.

"Have you tried plugging it in..." :D

Attaching screenshot of my error message and firmware update software.

error.png

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Same error here.. tried on PC and on Mac, several usb cables, redownloaded firmware files etc.. i did everything.
Contacted Canon's worthless support center about it. Their reply was to try another usb cable, disable firewall, try on another computer. Nothing else. It was like replies from chat bots.

Can you provide a bit more information on your computer setup?
  1. What anti-virus have you got installed?
    Some AV software will continue to block hardware calls even when disabled. Only solution is to uninstall the AV software, do the FW update and then reinstall the AV (or get a better AV software ;)).

2. Have you tried updating your motherboard drivers to the latest versions from the chipset manufacturer rather than the motherboard manufacturer.
    Often the Motherboard manufacturers don't have the latest AMD/Intel drivers and that can affect USB connectivity
  3. What's your relationship with the legal practice of Sods, Murphy and sons? :hide

Any other info that you think might be helpful, even if it seems daft is worth including as sometimes it's the daft stuff that is causing the problem.