Canon Pro10 20 Alternating Lights

e1rad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Hello all! New member. What an amazing forum. It is 12:36AM and I have spent all of today going through many many MANY of your threads to see if I can solve my problem.

My friend is a professional photographer and his Canon Pro10 decided to stop cooperating. According to him, it was working completely without issue until he turned it on one day to print for a client and the printer flashed alternating lights. He did not mention any waste ink warnings - he is rather old and probably has forgotten - but I understand that this printer has been used A LOT. Anyway, he overnighted a new printer and was going to throw the Pro10 out. I took it (I believe it was sitting for 2 months) and now only my ankles are outside the rabbit hole.

Printer Symptoms:
- When the printer is turned on it presents alternating white/amber lights (no carriage movement or any mechanical sounds)
- Specifically, the amber light flashes 10 times in the pattern
- When opening the door to access the ink, the carriage does not move into position though it does freely move by hand
- The foam directly underneath the print head was inundated with ink
- Generally the poor thing looks like it has never been cleaned

Plan of Action:
- I will thoroughly clean the print head and as much as I can inside the printer with an isopropyl alcohol/water mix
- I will buy v5204 of the service tool (per https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ro-100s-waste-ink-pads-full.12957/post-135152) and reset the waste ink counter
- I will add a printer potty (per https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...binet-removal-procedure.14918/#post-129909cai)

What are the chances this will solve the issue? I'm quite frankly awe struck that canon service manuals aren't readily available for printers as old as this. I also couldn't find any thread to say exactly how to use the reset tool, so any direction in that regard - if there is a thread I can read with step by step instructions - that would be greatly appreciated. Anything else that I should reset other than the waste ink counter?

e1rad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Hello all! New member. What an amazing forum. It is 12:36AM and I have spent all of today going through many many MANY of your threads to see if I can solve my problem.

My friend is a professional photographer and his Canon Pro10 decided to stop cooperating. According to him, it was working completely without issue until he turned it on one day to print for a client and the printer flashed alternating lights. He did not mention any waste ink warnings - he is rather old and probably has forgotten - but I understand that this printer has been used A LOT. Anyway, he overnighted a new printer and was going to throw the Pro10 out. I took it (I believe it was sitting for 2 months) and now only my ankles are outside the rabbit hole.

Printer Symptoms:
- When the printer is turned on it presents alternating white/amber lights (no carriage movement or any mechanical sounds)
- Specifically, the amber light flashes 10 times in the pattern
- When opening the door to access the ink, the carriage does not move into position though it does freely move by hand
- The foam directly underneath the print head was inundated with ink
- Generally the poor thing looks like it has never been cleaned

Plan of Action:
- I will thoroughly clean the print head and as much as I can inside the printer with an isopropyl alcohol/water mix
- I will buy v5204 of the service tool (per https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ro-100s-waste-ink-pads-full.12957/post-135152) and reset the waste ink counter
- I will add a printer potty (per https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...binet-removal-procedure.14918/#post-129909cai)

What are the chances this will solve the issue? I'm quite frankly awe struck that canon service manuals aren't readily available for printers as old as this. I also couldn't find any thread to say exactly how to use the reset tool, so any direction in that regard - if there is a thread I can read with step by step instructions - that would be greatly appreciated. Anything else that I should reset other than the waste ink counter?
Nevermind the step-by-step instructions, I found this thread this morning: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/pro-10-waste-ink-counter-reset.14265/

I am still interested to know if there is anything else I should reset while I am in the tool however, thanks guys!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Nevermind the step-by-step instructions, I found this thread this morning: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/pro-10-waste-ink-counter-reset.14265/

I am still interested to know if there is anything else I should reset while I am in the tool however, thanks guys!
I've never done it on a Pro-xxx printers, only G series units but no, I don't think there are any other values you'd want to play with without knowing what you're doing.

Just as an aside, if you get a Printer Potty and take a metric ton of photos and/or video of the disassembly, fitting and reassembly process that you're prepared to share publicly then I'll happily refund the Potty cost.

Good luck!

e1rad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
I've never done it on a Pro-xxx printers, only G series units but no, I don't think there are any other values you'd want to play with without knowing what you're doing.

Just as an aside, if you get a Printer Potty and take a metric ton of photos and/or video of the disassembly, fitting and reassembly process that you're prepared to share publicly then I'll happily refund the Potty cost.

Good luck!

Yes, if I can get the printer operational again, I will take detailed photos.

Right now, the printer is unfortunately refusing to enter service mode, so I am not sure where to go from here. I am unable to reset any counters and get an error.

I believe I am experiencing this issue:

e1rad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Talking with BestBuy tech support, this is their response to 10 yellow light canon printer:

If your printer displays a displays a B200 or related (B201, B202, etc.) error, this means that the print head built into one or both of the ink cartridges has overheated. You can attempt to replace the ink cartridges in your printer to resolve this

I think, unfortunately that the printer is simply goosed. Given the price of a replacement print head, it doesn't make sense to keep on going with this. Sigh. Still, what a journey reading all of your posts and your passion for printers. Keep it up,

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
According to the manual, 20 orange flashes does not exist.
As previously suggested, 10 alternate power and orange flashes indicate B200.
This indicates a worn out printhead, and there is no repair or durable reset.
You should also see the error message on your PC.

The printhead is a user replaceable part, and should cost (here in Europe) about the same as a full set of carts.
I replaced the printhead several times in PRO-9500(II)'s, and have also a spare for my PRO-10.

Last edited:

e1rad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
According to the manual, 20 orange flashes does not exist.
As previously suggested, 10 alternate power and orange flashes indicate B200.
This indicates a worn out printhead, and there is no repair or durable reset.
You should also see the error message on your PC.

The printhead is a user replaceable part, and should cost (here in Europe) about the same as a full set of carts.
I replaced the printhead several times in PRO-9500(II)'s, and have also a spare for my PRO-10.

The white and orange lights flash 20 times total, but yes, 10 orange flashing lights is the error code. While I have posted above a potential solution for the 10 orange flashes problem above, the solution does not work for my printer. Replacement print heads cost $170 (refurbished) in the states, significantly more for a brand new head it seems. For that price, I can get a Pixima iX6820. Not as good a printer, but brand spanking new with full cartridges, and under warranty.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Sad new heads are so expensive over there.
NEVER buy a "refurbished" printhead.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The white and orange lights flash 20 times total, but yes, 10 orange flashing lights is the error code. While I have posted above a potential solution for the 10 orange flashes problem above,
So according to your calculations you have 10 Orange and 10 white LED’s, what error code are you seeing on your monitor, because to me that is referring to your logic board and not your print head.. Please check again..
P.S. Don’t waste your money on a refurbished head as stated by @palombian ..

Last edited: