Canon Pro-200 vs. Epson 106 ink fading performance

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I started a fading test with the inks of the new Canon Pro-200 and the Epson 106 of the ET-7750 - actually only with the C and M inks - 4 weeks ago, patches are placed outside, but protected under a recessed balcony - the weather varies between a little bit of snow, overcast, a little bit of sun, temp between -3 C and 10 deg C.
There are no results or trends to report at this time after 4 weeks, the inks stay pretty much stable, and small variations in the readings are more of some statistical fluctuations than a trend , so the test will continue for quite a while.

I have separated this thread from my comments starting this new fading test here

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/starting-with-pro-200.14306/post-124783

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Color patches for the fading test are placed outside on a recessed balcony, but inks start to run off - trying to escape the fading tests and the upcoming winter storm - snow - freezing cold.........(black is a mix of CMY)

Patches.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have added 2 more patches to the test with HP GT52 dye inks, 3 inks CMY and the black patch is printed as a mix of those, magenta seems to be more volatile than the others - on the same paper. It's the HP magenta and the Epson 106 magenta, yellow and black running off , not the cyan of any company. I admit it's not the most typical environment for dye inks, but I need a place to accelerate the testing somewhat.
I turned the patches upside down and hope the inks run back in place where they came from...............

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is nothing to report yet, both the Canon Chromalife and Epson 106 inks - C and M only - remain stable during this test, patches are placed outside and get whatever sun, humidity ,ozone there is at this time of the year.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I can update you that the first signs of fading are becoming measurable, but they are not really visible yet; I'm just measuring shifts in lightness of color patches - exposed patches vs. patches I keep in the dark and which got printed at the same time, on the same paper , with the same driver settings - I actually cut patch prints in half.
Since I cannot measure any cumulative figures of ozone, UV during the test period these tests just give an indication which ink - the Epson 106 ink this time - fades faster - or slower - than the Canon Chromalife inks of the Pro200 - and this test runs on three glossy papers - a budget glossy 240g PE/RC paper, the Aldi/Netbit paper and the HP Premium Glossy Photo Paper. Both inks perform very well so far and quite similar - within statistical and measurement setup margins. It is not clear yet which ink is 'better' - more stable - longer lasting - it'll take some more time until measurements will separate that much that this will become clearer. (And I'm only running the test with cyan and magenta - the Canon cartridge inks are much more expensive than the Epson 106 inks and barely affordable for such test - not printing any decent image with them but just some stupid color patches..............)

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
This is what is happening to my color patches during these stormy days

Fading Test.jpg

but I just continue............