Canon Pro-10 ink refill options

ioprappas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10S
Thank you everyone for your immediate response!!!

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000, Canon Pro-10
Great advice here by everyone!
I now have 2 OEM cartridge sets that I am rotating and refilling, it is quick, easy and cheap and I am really happy with the results I am getting. I change and refill a complete set once the first cartridge (normally gray) is empty.

I am printing up a storm during these "lock-down" days thanks to the advice found here!

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
(1) use OEM inks and change each cart as they empty and you will get a complete purge cycle every time you do that, so 10 cart changes = ten purge cycles. That what’s known as the Domino effect and Canon will love you..

(2) Use 3rd party inks and change every cart when one cart get low or empty (Replace the lot)
#2 - a resetter, extra cartridges and ink - is called The Hat Trick. ;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
With @ioprappas refilling with Inktec, and @Rudix with Inkowl, we now have 4 brands of 3th party ink in the forum.

Seems the PRO-10, 8 years after release, only now gains interest among refillers (it was not different with the PRO-9500).
Looking forward to shared experiences, positive and negative ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
the PRO-10, 8 years after release, only now gains interest among refillers
The Pro 10 is a nice machine, but I still love my two Pro-9500’s, 12 years on..
No problems with waste ink or resetting the ink counter..
;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Pro 10 is a nice machine, but I still love my two Pro-9500’s, 12 years on..
No problems with waste ink or resetting the ink counter..
;)

Hat, I have both and can tell you the colours of the PRO-10 are deeper, even on matte papers.
The 9500 has green ink, but the grass is greener with the PRO-10 ;) .
I couldn't believe it and loaded OEM green to be sure.
I intended to use the 9500 for matte, but I am afraid it will continue it's life for office A3 work.
Will make new profiles, check again and post back.

For gloss and satin the PRO-10 is a huge advance, not only because of the CO but the inks have a more even gloss.
Most 9500 3th party inks are the first copies of the (far from perfect) original Lucia inks.
PRO-10 inks in the 9500 help.

PS: before the ink counter is full I will have found a second PRO-10 on the cheap, and it is not excluded the Russian reset utilities will work, no one dares to try.

PS: the matte printing on the PRO-9500 is solved, at least with borders, back to the other thread

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-what-happened-to-my-pro-9500ii.13542/page-17

Last edited:

mid_modernist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Congratulations on getting the best Pro printer today, now there are two ways of using the Pro 10, with OEM inks only or with 3rd party inks, extra carts and resetter.

You don’t have to do anything special when using it with OEM inks, just enjoy the wonderful prints you get from it, and replace each cart when empty. BUT !

If you do that, the cost of printing can be expensive and your printer won’t last as long, because the waste ink pads will fill much faster and need replacing sooner or later.

On the other hand, if you decide to use 3rd party inks, the initial start-up cost is a bit hefty, because you got to get inks, extra carts and a resetter, but that setup will last for years with carts and resetter and so will your printer, and you only need to get ink once a year or longer.

The two ways to print are, (1) use OEM inks and change each cart as they empty and you will get a complete purge cycle every time you do that, so 10 cart changes = ten purge cycles. That what’s known as the Domino effect and Canon will love you..

(2) Use 3rd party inks and change every cart when one cart get low or empty (Replace the lot) and leave them to one side till later, this way you only get one purge cycle for all ten carts, this gives you a huge saving on ink and stop your waste ink pads from filling faster…You decide…

The PRO-1 is dead, long live the PRO-10s!

Any recommendations for the best combination of cartridges, inks and re-setters you can recommend?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you’ve got the Pro 10 then great, but your biggest problem will be what to do about the big door stop you now have on the floor. ?

You can use a set of OEM ink filled carts if you want to have the best of everything, and you can also have a set of OEM carts with compatible ink for everyday use, because it’s so much easier to swap between them whenever you want.

To run the Pro 10 successfully you’ll need at least two sets of OEM carts and a redsetter, and when one cart becomes empty, it’s advisable to replace them all to avoid mutable cleaning cycles. (Top up the rest later)

You can get all your supplies from Octoinkjet.co.uk, they have everything, including extra carts, inks, Squeasy bottles, refill clips and the redsetter..

The different print quality’s between the Pro 1 and Pro 10 will be negligible, you’ll soon settle into a good printing routine for all your prints whether B&W or Colour..

Last edited:

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
If you’ve got the Pro 10 then great, but your biggest problem will be what to do about the big door you now have on the floor. ?

You can use a set of OEM ink filled carts if you want to have the best of everything, and you can also have a set of OEM carts with compatible ink for everyday use, because it’s so much easier to swap between them whenever you want.

To run the Pro 10 successfully you’ll need at least two sets of OEM carts and a redsetter, and when one cart becomes empty, it’s advisable to replace them all to avoid mutable cleaning cycles. (Top up the rest later)

You can get all your supplies from Octoinkjet.co.uk, they have everything, including extra carts, inks, Squeasy bottles, refill clips and the redsetter..

The different print quality’s between the Pro 1 and Pro 10 will be negligible, you’ll soon settle into a good printing routine for all your prints whether B&W or Colour..
Hello The Hat
Fellow Irish man living in London. Just bought a Pro10 for £40 and put a new £130 head into it and it works well. It has only done 150 prints in total so should have some life left. I am looking for some good ink to go into it. I can get someone to forward me Precision Colours from Canada, but I notice you recommend Octoinkjet.co.uk. What would be my best bet? All advice greatly appreciated.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hello The Hat
Fellow Irish man living in London. Just bought a Pro10 for £40 and put a new £130 head into it and it works well. It has only done 150 prints in total so should have some life left. I am looking for some good ink to go into it. I can get someone to forward me Precision Colours from Canada, but I notice you recommend Octoinkjet.co.uk. What would be my best bet? All advice greatly appreciated.
While IMO Precision Colors is closer to OEM, it will cost you a lot to ship.
Octoink has a bit less gamut, and the PBK is not so good on glossy paper (but he sells OEM), but a very decent ink set for the price. Very good service too.
I wouldn't buy empty cartridges to refill there, since - also warned for on the site - there is no guarantee they are not dried out. In this case it will cause you a lot of problems.
Either try to find them on eBay (gambling it are "fresh" empties" as I was so lucky) or buy a full new set from Canon.

If you want Canon ink you can buy PRO-1 cartridges and suck the ink out, it is exactly the same as the PRO-10.

Happy printing with your PRO-10 !