Canon Platinum Pro A3+, 50% off

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Get acid test pen and see for yourself if you don't believe me see for what you pay your money, test the premium paper including Pro platinum you will be amazed I'm sure.

The problem with acid paper or paper coating is for DYE inks more severe, not pigment ones but paper will yellow more rapidly if acid paper or the surface that you print on is used too.

So worrying about color management is considered without sense if you don't care on what you print.

There is no ink to paper contact except on the cheapest papers. These are what the paper trade calls "coated," usually an ultra-fine clay which allows much finer detail. These paper types are everything from card stock to brochure types of papers.

"Real" photo papers usually have the paper between two layers of PE, like the Platinum: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/PT101_techguide/PT101_HTML/02structure_amr.html

This has been the norm for the wet darkroom since the 1970's on the RC (resin coated) papers, and on all color papers since then. Never do the dyes or halides touch the paper.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Perhaps I should have said the paper surface? I don't care how many layers there are, but I want that ink acid tester would show me "non acid neutral paper surface" like on KODAK papers.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Perhaps I should have said the paper surface? I don't care how many layers there are, but I want that ink acid tester would show me "non acid neutral paper surface" like on KODAK papers.

Way too unlikely to be an issue, ever, on any photo paper. This whole thing of "archival" and "acid free" is, for the most part, just marketing and something that you are told to worry about. In the real world? Not so much.

Just this morning I was going through a number of old images, ca. 1912 from my grandfather. Almost all of them were developed and processed on board an Austro-Hungarian warship. Not exactly an ideal environment, and I'm sure those old paper makers never heard of the word "archival." While they show various aging effects, like paper discoloration, they are all perfectly intact. In all of my family's extensive old photo stuff, the only paper degradation I have ever seen is the matte board a photo was mounted on. Not surprising, that was just cheap pulp stuff.

And to worry about if Canon or Canson or Epson or whomever has an acid free ink absorbing layer is way too much for me to worry about.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
With all your print fading tests I though you should be more than interested to know that acid ink layer on paper is important.

As for "Canon or Canson or Epson" if anyone cares get acid test pen and see for yourself, it's your money you spend on the supposedly archival papers after all.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
With all your print fading tests I though you should be more than interested to know that acid ink layer on paper is important.

As for "Canon or Canson or Epson" if anyone cares get acid test pen and see for yourself, it's your money you spend on the supposedly archival papers after all.

OK, do you have evidence that this is a problem, especially with respected, quality papers? I'm always willing to learn something.

I just can't imagine that with all the money spent on making such papers that they would overlook the pH of the ink receiving layer, if it was a problem. Cheap paper made from wood pulp is by nature, acidic. I rather doubt if the microporous, the PE, or any other layer is.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK, do you have evidence that this is a problem, especially with respected, quality papers? I'm always willing to learn something.

Do you have the opposite evidence ?

I just can't imagine that with all the money spent on making such papers that they would overlook the pH of the ink receiving layer, if it was a problem. Cheap paper made from wood pulp is by nature, acidic. I rather doubt if the microporous, the PE, or any other layer is.

Have you heard about patents or that every 1$ save from product produced by millions makes 10x more millions profits? No then think again. Why should anyone make something better if they sell ordinary paper good too?

Ask KODAK why their paper is acid free, KODAK is well known brand and such before there was Canon, EPSON etc. and dozen of supposedly paper manufacturers, should I say labelers because all they do is put their label on the packaging.

Mitsubishi chemical makes a great deal of papers, I don't know who makes KODAK, Canon or EPSON papers, they keep their secrets. But as I said Why should anyone make something better if they sell ordinary paper good too?

Paper yellowing from OBA degradation, and acids is a problem. Dye ink degradation from acids is a problem if you take into account that dyes are organic substances. Like badly washed cine film deteriorates if not cleaned with distilled water. Same thing here.

Acids, chemicals from making the paper, OBA's - we do not need them on quality expensive papers.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you have the opposite evidence ?

Have you heard about patents or that every 1$ save from product produced by millions makes 10x more millions profits? No then think again. Why should anyone make something better if they sell ordinary paper good too?

Ask KODAK why their paper is acid free, KODAK is well known brand and such before there was Canon, EPSON etc. and dozen of supposedly paper manufacturers, should I say labelers because all they do is put their label on the packaging.

Mitsubishi chemical makes a great deal of papers, I don't know who makes KODAK, Canon or EPSON papers, they keep their secrets. But as I said Why should anyone make something better if they sell ordinary paper good too?

Paper yellowing from OBA degradation, and acids is a problem. Dye ink degradation from acids is a problem if you take into account that dyes are organic substances. Like badly washed cine film deteriorates if not cleaned with distilled water. Same thing here.

Acids, chemicals from making the paper, OBA's - we do not need them on quality expensive papers.

Sir, with all due respect, you aren't making sense.

1. Again, the paper and the ink never touch each other in a layered paper.
2. It is you, who posit this theory about paper acidity, who needs to offer up some evidence. I have said I'm willing to learn something. It is not up to me to prove a negative. It's impossible, in fact.
3. That Kodak has been making, or more likely, having paper made for them for a hundred years is neither in dispute nor relative to quality. (I was using Kodak, Ansco, and DuPont papers in my father's pro darkroom as a kid. My first camera, a Brownie Box.)
4. It's always dangerous to hypothesize about business decisions. Ask Ford Motor Company about the Edsel.

If you are happy using Kodak, by all means, carry on.