Canon Platinum Pro A3+, 50% off

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Amazon has 13x19" Canon Platinum Pro PT-101. pack of 10 sheets for $17.45. Eligible for free shipping. It's the old packaging if you can live with that! Next lowest price is at least double. But you would get the new black box.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CUF97G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided to buy a couple of packs because of the benefits that seem pretty unique to this paper. All those different layers with unique purposes, etc.
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/PT101_techguide/PT101_HTML/index_amr.html

I don't know everything (although more that one or two of you may think that I think I do!) but I'm not aware of any paper out there with this type of technologiy out there. I went over to the Epson and HP sites and even their best papers had no information available beyond adjectives like "best."

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Yes this paper is best glossy paper I found as far as glossiness goes for DYE printers obviously.

Too bad Canon never loves European customers with
50% off

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes this paper is best glossy paper I found as far as glossiness goes for DYE printers obviously.

Too bad Canon never loves European customers with
50% off

Well, it's not Canon offering 50% off, it's just the intertube marketplace. eBay, Amazon, whatever.

Don't forget, Canon does no differentiation between their dye inks printers and their pigment printers, insofar as appropriate papers. Presumably Canon believes this paper is equally or more equally !!! using it with pigment inks. HP has a long history of never really addressing their swellable gelatin papers with the pigment ink printers, just kinda hemming and hawing around the adjectives. Which is what most marketers of printers and papers and inks indulge in. Superlatives, not facts.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
most marketers of printers and papers and inks doesn't know a difference between inkjet and a laserjet. All these layers work if ink is absorbed into paper, pigment participles OEM or third party can't be absorbed into any paper I know. Therefore there is no need in fancy layers for pigment ink printers, you will also not benefit from gloss of this paper or any other if printed using pigment inks.

What you see as gloss when printed using pigment inks is the gloss of the ink particles and gloss optimizer. This is because pigments are not translucent they are coated in layers, same reason they have so many colors in pigment printer compared to dye.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
most marketers of printers and papers and inks doesn't know a difference between inkjet and a laserjet. All these layers work if ink is absorbed into paper, pigment participles OEM or third party can't be absorbed into any paper I know. Therefore there is no need in fancy layers for pigment ink printers, you will also not benefit from gloss of this paper or any other if printed using pigment inks.

What you see as gloss when printed using pigment inks is the gloss of the ink particles and gloss optimizer. This is because pigments are not translucent they are coated in layers, same reason they have so many colors in pigment printer compared to dye.

Excellent points that I hadn't processed. Thanks.

I wonder how many Canon pigment printers buy this product? It must work OK, but as you say, without the benefits it was designed to give. It IS listed as compatible with the PRO-1, 10, and 9500 printers. Go figure.

HP still produces the swellable polymer Everyday Photo Paper in letter size. Nowhere do they mention or warn that it is not a good paper for pigment printers, which HP has plenty of. And in the reviews, you can just tell which buyers are using pigment inks! "Never dries, puddles on the surface, etc." Yet HP refuses to warn people.

And that's not even inkjet v. laser! (I did see someone ask on Amazon if the Platinum paper could be used in a laser printer. ohmigod................... Wait until that polyethylene runs through his fusers.)

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder how many Canon pigment printers buy this product? It must work OK, but as you say, without the benefits it was designed to give. It IS listed as compatible with the PRO-1, 10, and 9500 printers. Go figure.

It's the most expensive canon photo paper, why wouldn't canon list it as compatible? They do make money by selling paper and ink, not printers.

HP still produces the swellable polymer Everyday Photo Paper in letter size. Nowhere do they mention or warn that it is not a good paper for pigment printers, which HP has plenty of. And in the reviews, you can just tell which buyers are using pigment inks! "Never dries, puddles on the surface, etc." Yet HP refuses to warn people.

You dame your printer you buy another one, HP makes more money. etc. No warranty protects you if you use photo paper in laser printer.

It is common sense that you know what you buy, if you don't you take the risks. Nobody is going to educate anyone for free, only we as a community do so on this forum. On other forums by asking question you get insulting answers how stupid etc. etc. use google etc.etc.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Platinum paper is so expensive in my country it is available only in A6, larger sizes needs to special ordered and you have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive. The price is crazy too.

For my DYE prints I would use:

Canon Platinum Pro for glossy hi gamut prints,
Canon Luster for (semi glossy prints)
KODAK digital papers for archival prints as they are mostly acid free (needs to be verified individually as I haven't tried many of them).

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model

Excellent points that I hadn't processed. Thanks.
It's the most expensive canon photo paper, why wouldn't canon list it as compatible? They do make money by selling paper and ink, not printers.

You dame your printer you buy another one, HP makes more money. etc. No warranty protects you if you use photo paper in laser printer.

It is common sense that you know what you buy, if you don't you take the risks. Nobody is going to educate anyone for free, only we as a community do so on this forum. On other forums by asking question you get insulting answers how stupid etc. etc. use google etc.etc.

I don't think that a high price and more profit would justify selling it to pigment ink users unless it worked. Meaning, at the least, maybe not dye ink quality, but lack of problems like puddling. As you pointed out, it's probably a waste of money for pigment inks.

Certainly most end users don't know pigment from pigs, but the fact that HP sells Everyday old fashioned to anyone who brings a check book, and with bad results seems strange. Making customers unhappy is not a good business model.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Platinum paper is so expensive in my country it is available only in A6, larger sizes needs to special ordered and you have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive. The price is crazy too.

For my DYE prints I would use:

Canon Platinum Pro for glossy hi gamut prints,
Canon Luster for (semi glossy prints)
KODAK digital papers for archival prints as they are mostly acid free (needs to be verified individually as I haven't tried many of them).

Yes to, and for the reasons given, the first two Canon papers. My third one now is Canon cheap matte, I mentioned elsewhere I got boxes of 50 for $4.50 each. Just got four delivered today, woo hoo. Great for knockabout, "Everyday" day printing with excellent detail.

I think way too much has been made of this "acid free" thing. Only the cheapest papers aren't, and even those will probably last decades. Any name brand photo paper wouldn't dare save a penny to put premium coatings and polyethylene on cheap paper. Your ink never, ever gets to the paper anyway.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think way too much has been made of this "acid free" thing. Only the cheapest papers aren't, and even those will probably last decades. Any name brand photo paper wouldn't dare save a penny to put premium coatings and polyethylene on cheap paper. Your ink never, ever gets to the paper anyway.

Get acid test pen and see for yourself if you don't believe me see for what you pay your money, test the premium paper including Pro platinum you will be amazed I'm sure.

The problem with acid paper or paper coating is for DYE inks more severe, not pigment ones but paper will yellow more rapidly if acid paper or the surface that you print on is used too.

So worrying about color management is considered without sense if you don't care on what you print.