Canon Pixma Pro 100 Nozzle check revealing missing colors

cosmos

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Hi All,

Last week I got a Open Box Canon Pixma Pro 100 from Kijiji.
After I installed today, I was excited to run my first print.

Found that the nozzle check was missing two colors.

I have run cleaning, followed by deep cleaning multiple times however it did not help with the problem.
I have also cleaned the print head according to the procedure mentioned in the below link, but no help.

http://www.castleink.com/category/82/Cleaning-Clogged-Canon-Print-Heads.html?language=en

I am attaching the Nozzle check output.

Color PM is totally missing, Color Y appears a little bit but not fully. All the rest of the colors are great.

Can someone help what can be the issue and what should be my way forward.

I dont have the bill however the seller assured me that this should still be in warranty.

Attachments

• nzp.jpg
    nzp.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,244

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @cosmos and welcome, to start out with, you have been doing more harm than good to your printer, and you need to take things slower and have more patience, rushing in to fast can damage your print head.

That website you linked too, they are total idiots and their advice is a recipe for disaster, they don’t know a thing about Canon print heads and the cleaning methods they describe will only produce problems later.

To start with never do cleaning cycles one after another that’s not what there for, you need to run nozzle checks in between each cycle and check your progress and never run more than one deep cleaning cycle in 24 hours, or print anything other than nozzle checks.

The most likely cause of all your problems are cartridge related, are all the cartridges installed in the printer OEM and has the covering tape been removed from the end of the PM cartridge. ?

The yellow nozzles are something different however, it looks very much like you have caught the Yello Gello syndrome problem and that will take time to clear up, only with a good soaking.

Try soaking the print head in 2” of Windex in a plastic bowl and don’t put any Ammonia anywhere near the print head, you’ll need to leave it to soak for 1 to 2 days and you may have to print with it like that for a month to get it completely clear.

While you have the head soaking you will want to replace your yellow and PM cartridges with new ones, its imperative to use cartridges that you know are in perfect condition, otherwise your trouble shooting will amount to nothing.

P.S. Sorry but have you considered you might have been sold a Lemon..

cosmos

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Hi thanks a lot for your comment and apologies for the delay.
The cartiridges are all OEM and the covering tape was already removed when i received the printer (the cartridges were all sitting in a plastic bags with the orange plastic seals also removed). Both the yellow and PM cartridges are full of liquid on both sides. I also had checked that both these cartridges were very well leaving marks on a paper napkin when i pressed them againt it so liquid seems to be flowing well. Do you still recommend i buy new cartridges?
I did not mention it, however I had been running nozzle checks after each cleaning cycle(the printer utility used to ask me to run it automatically after every cleaning).
I dont have Windex however i have ordered it from Amazon and will try the soaking method.
Yes the probability of a lemon is very well there i am afraid. Do you know if there is a way to find out if this will be still covered under warranty.
Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@cosmos, so your saying the carts came in a plastic bag, and what about the print head, was that still in the printer, or that too also came in a separate bag ?

When you were getting several nozzle checks after cleaning was there any improvement in the output at all, because the yellow nozzles definitely look contaminated but I’m at a loss as to what’s wrong with the PM nozzles.

I’d recommend getting another PM cart (Compatible acceptable), and please take your time because patients can be your best friend for producing good results...

cosmos

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Yes the print head was in a separate bag too..this looked to me a demo from bestbuy which was repacked after some use.
After i installed everything, i ran nozzle check, which initially revealed M, Y and PM complety missing from group 1.
After a couple of cleaning cycles, M returned (in a srate that you see in picture), Yellow returned partially (more than what you currently see in picture) and PM never returned. Yellow diminished (to what you see currently in picture) after i performed the process of print head cleaning recommended by the site that you mentioned as idiots.
Could there be something wrong with electric circuitry for PM?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is a simple comparison test you can use to determine if your yellow and photo magenta cartridges are in good working order or are the cause of the problems. Take a cartridge from one of the colours that is working perfectly for instance normal magenta. Hold this cartridge over a sink with the ink outlet facing downwards or hold a piece of kitchen paper/paper towel under the ink outlet. Now blow gently by mouth into the vent and notice how little effort it takes to expel a drop of ink or two. Now do the same test with the offending cartridges. This will indicate if new cartridges will probably make the failing colours work again.

You can wipe the cartridge with isopropyl alcohol before blowing into it if you prefer.

cosmos

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Thank you PeterBJ.I will try this simple test and publish the results.

notkud

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi, I have the same problem as @cosmos. My PM looks basically the same as the result shown in their first post (NOTHING), except all my other colors are good. I tried everything they did (cleaning, deep cleaning, nozzle checking in between all, and soaking the head in windex overnight -- the problem was resolved for ONE nozzle check after a deep clean, but quickly reverted to being totally not working.

I did the blow test suggested by @PeterBJ, and found that for a working cartridge that the ink dripped as expected. With the PM (offending cartridge), it was harder to get ink to flow, and when it did, it came out as a column of bubbles! (not a neat drip).

I'm going to look into getting a new PM cartridge now. This issue has been plaguing my workflow and I hope I can find out if this fixes it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
95 % of the time it’s always cartridge related, most of these problems don’t happen when using OEM carts new..

notkud

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
It was definitely the cartridge. And, blowing air through it via the vent holes over the sink actually resolved my issues (maybe temporarily?) and I was finally able to get through a couple of A3+ prints thank goodness!

Maybe the pad on the outlet hole was dried up or obstructed somehow and it needed that little push. I use an OEM cart, but I have been refilling it for about a year now.

A new PM cartridge is on the way for me anyway in case it stops working again.