Canon Pixma PRO-1 (partly) demystified

elledavid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1
Try closing the tray and holding the Resume button in for 3 seconds, if that doesn’t work then power off the printer for 5 minutes and then power on and see if the error message has gone..
Hi again
Thank you for the advice.

The tray is not open.. nor does it have any kind of debris.. it is spotless.. but even opening it then closing it etc or following your other suggestions carefully does nothing.. the yellow light flashes six times.. 1851 error it says on screen.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have had a similar error with a much more mundane printer, an iP4000. It intermittently gave an error that the output tray was closed even if it was open. The cause of the error was a failing sensor switch. I managed to take the switch apart and clean the contact surfaces with an electronics contact cleaner on a Q-tip. So I suggest to look for an inner tray sensor and check it out.

If you are very lucky then opening and closing the tray some times may make the switch work again.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
1851 error it says on screen.
Would this help.. ?

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Flambeauriver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i bought a used Canon Pro-1 that I saw working properly when I picked it up. When I got home and downloaded the driver to my old Mac I immediately got the "resume" light blinking 6 times and the error code 1851 on the Printer Utility. This is a USA version of the Pro-1 and I am from California. Did this printer even come with the CD Printer Hardware? If it did not, why the CD Tray error?

My modern Macs will not load the Pro-1 drivers since the last update was or Mac OS Big Sur. I downgraded one older MacMini to Mac OS Mojave and downloaded the Pro-Driver from Canon.

I could go to Catalina and download that driver, or Big Sur ... anyway, I realize I must be devoted to get this printer to work on a Mac in 2024. Anybody else have ideas or who has give through this hassle?

Flambeauriver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Try closing the tray and holding the Resume button in for 3 seconds, if that doesn’t work then power off the printer for 5 minutes and then power on and see if the error message has gone..
Congratulations @swisscow, that’s a great insight into the working of the Pro 1, and it should help and encourage other owners to have a go at saving their printer from the landfill.

Most of the information on here about this printer is fairly dated and needed updating and your demystifying explanations and photos really do that, I loved your trick on how to beat the 6700 error.. Sorry you couldn’t defeat the B200 error..

There’s enough information here to make most owners happy to try some of these ideas out, after all if the printer is kaput there’s no harm in trying to improve the situation, because just leaving the printer in that state doesn’t help.. in for a dollar in for a pound..

No one can say the information and photos here are not new and considering how old these printers are, it was time to bring it out into the light, so good on you..

P.S. can you post a complete nozzle check on this printer to show the results you managed to achieve with all your hard work..
Sir: I just dropped $300 US on a Pro-1 that I saw working. I took it home and hooked it up only to be presented with the Error 1851 that the CD tray is open. I've got the printer 'stripped' of its panels but I cannot find where the possible sensor the CD tray is located. I'm not sure this USA Model even came with the CD printing tray. I have read that some have shorted out the two wires that lead from the sensor ... I have no idea where these wires might be.

Can you suggest a solution? or direct me to some info that may help me, like a wiring diagram for this printer?

Daniel

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can you suggest a solution? or direct me to some info that may help me, like a wiring diagram for this printer?
As this is a Pro 1 printer, you may be getting an erroneous error, so it may not be the actual problem at all.

To fix:- Close the front paper tray and press the resume button, then start a new print job again, this time it should tell you to open the front paper tray to proceed....

Mostly I would tell you to return this beast and get your money back and put it towards a second hand Pro 10 or a new Pro 300, at least that way you have a chance at care free printing..

The Pro 1 is not a printer that will allow you to tinker with and should be avoided at all times, this thing is a living hell when it comes to diagnosing any issues that may arise, it either prints or it doesn’t and no amount of fiddling with ever change her mind..

P.S. the Pro 1 comes with a CD tray on all models ever built regardless of region..

Flambeauriver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
As this is a Pro 1 printer, you may be getting an erroneous error, so it may not be the actual problem at all.

To fix:- Close the front paper tray and press the resume button, then start a new print job again, this time it should tell you to open the front paper tray to proceed....

Mostly I would tell you to return this beast and get your money back and put it towards a second hand Pro 10 or a new Pro 300, at least that way you have a chance at care free printing..

The Pro 1 is not a printer that will allow you to tinker with and should be avoided at all times, this thing is a living hell when it comes to diagnosing any issues that may arise, it either prints or it doesn’t and no amount of fiddling with ever change her mind..

P.S. the Pro 1 comes with a CD tray on all models ever built regardless of region..
Thank you for this appraisal. I'm biting the bullet and getting a Pro-1000. I have one at another location and I have yet to have any issues with it. The Pro-1 sits here by my side at my desk, stripped of its panels, and laughing at me. Daniel

elledavid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1