Canon Pixma MP640 - won’t turn on

Jenn67

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP640
Hi
my Pixma MP640 printer has always been reliable until now, when it stopped working during a print as one of the ink cartridges had run out. I replaced the cartridge, cleaned the cartridge holder, checked the plug, the lead connection, the PowerPoint, held the reset button, and all to no avail.
I have run out of ideas as to what to do next but, before I give up completely I would really appreciate some advice, as it has always been so reliable.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your trusty MP640 is having issues.

What error code was given? If there are flashing lights on the printer, which lights and how many times do they flash before repeating the cycle?

Were there any other issues before the printer stopped?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Old Canon printheads can fail suddenly for no apparent reason, sometimes in the middle of a print job. If possible remove the print head and try to turn the printer on. If the the printer turns on with an error message that the print head is missing, you know that the print head has failed.

A failed Canon print head can but does not always damage the motherboard. A motherboard damaged in this way can damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble.

The parts number for the print head is QY6-0072, In Europe there are still some available from regular dealers of Canon spare parts but the prices are high, in Denmark close to DKK 1000 or around $ 150. Beware of print heads from China, claimed to be new and OK. They are often used and defective print heads cleaned to look like new and repackaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. They are often defective out of the box.

So sadly I think it is time for a new printer.

Jenn67

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP640
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your trusty MP640 is having issues.

What error code was given? If there are flashing lights on the printer, which lights and how many times do they flash before repeating the cycle?

Were there any other issues before the printer stopped?
Thank you for your response - the on button is not activating and the printer is not turning on therefore I am unable to see any codes. There were no obvious issues I can think of except I delayed the replacement of the cartridge longer than I would normally while waiting delivery. So if anything i would say this has caused the problem but I am not sure what else I can do and I am not a technically minded to be able to tackle any major fix but keeping my fingers crossed at a last attempt

Jenn67

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP640
Old Canon printheads can fail suddenly for no apparent reason, sometimes in the middle of a print job. If possible remove the print head and try to turn the printer on. If the the printer turns on with an error message that the print head is missing, you know that the print head has failed.

A failed Canon print head can but does not always damage the motherboard. A motherboard damaged in this way can damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble.

The parts number for the print head is QY6-0072, In Europe there are still some available from regular dealers of Canon spare parts but the prices are high, in Denmark close to DKK 1000 or around $ 150. Beware of print heads from China, claimed to be new and OK. They are often used and defective print heads cleaned to look like new and repackaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. They are often defective out of the box.

So sadly I think it is time for a new printer.
Thank you for your response - I did read some where that an empty cartridge can cause burnout to the head and consequently damage the motherboard - I am not sure if this is the problem you are also referring to. Either way it seems like the cost is not economically viable to repair which is unfortunate as it has always provided all the functions and efficiencies I needed except the cost of replacement cartridges.
in response to your query the printer does not turn on with or without the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you decide to move on and get another printer, a good replacement wold be a Maxify, it has all the things you need in a printer, there are many models to choose from ranging in price according to how many bells and whistles you need..

It may not be the answer your looking for but the Maxify is a beast of a printer and can take a lot of abuse and may well last as long as your MP640…

Jenn67

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP640
Thank you so much for your advice I will definitely look into the maxify

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the on button is not activating and the printer is not turning on therefore I am unable to see any codes.
Not good. If the printer does not power on when plugged into a different outlet then junk it and get a new printer. Sure, anything is reparable but the cost and/or aggravation will be quite high.

If you want to source parts and begin the process of elimination of the power issue,and enjoy the process of taking apart the printer then go for it. Warning - take photos or meticulously record every step, every part and it's location and orientation, or else you may find yourself with a leftover widget and/or a non-functioning printer even if you do replace the proper part. Canon makes deceptively complex builds for their printers.

You have gotten excellent service from the printer. Let her go to the great printer room in the sky and give a new printer a home.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
On all Canon printers that I’ve known, removing the PSU is simple. No need to disassemble anything, The PSU block located at the back, slides downwards after pushing a couple of plastic tabs. Then unplug the cable coming from inside the printer and that’s it.

Anyway, in my experience, PSUs of Canon printers don’t fail often and when they do usually it’s because of some blown component in the logic board. Therefore, replacing a faulty PSU with another unit in good shape might damage the new PSU as well.

IMHO if you can obtain a spare PSU for very little or no money (salvaging it from a donor printer ), maybe it’s worth trying. There’s a small but reasonable chance of solving the problem, If you need to invest a sizeable amount of money on another PSU, forget about it and consider the printer kaput.

Latest posts