Canon Pixma MP620

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I do not know of anything else to help with the 5100 error that hasn't already been covered in the thread. If the potential solutions do not work or are not practical then it is time for a new printer.
Yesterday cleaned all the black ink around the wiper blade area, then printed 30 pages some double sided so thought I had cured the problem. This morning its back again. So this error message comes and goes. Not up to date on what Canon Printers you can refill

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Not up to date on what Canon Printers you can refill
One place to start for you in the UK is Octoink. Look at the printer models they sell refill ink and chip resetters. You could also try starting a new thread asking about printer suggestions. Make sure you detail your specific wants and needs from a printer.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have an MP620 and I used a webcam to shoot a photo of the right hand side of the timing strip. At approximately 7 cm or a little less than 3" from the end is a black circular dot with a diameter of approximately 5 mm or 13/64 ". I think this is a position marker of some sort:

View attachment 6829

Does your MP620 timing strip look like mine?
Yes have the round dot but about 2/3" to the left is another odd shaped mark irregular in shape I can only describe it as like an egg timer but tilted about 45 degrees with jagged edges. Tried various cleaners but cannot shift it. May try a Canon Service Center to see if I can get any information.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
It Looks like I will need a new Printer, There appears at first glance few you can refill. Any suggestions appreciated. From Octoink site it appears that there is no support for the newer models but there are special offers on the MG5750 but cost as much again to equip it with clear tanks and CLi-8 ink. I am not familiar with the MG5750 but assume a much lower grade M/C than my current MP620. They do offer a good range of support for Epson models. Had 3 Canon Pixma Models now, perhaps its time for a change.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
.....I am not familiar with the MG5750 but assume a much lower grade M/C than my current MP620....
I have an MG5550 which I think is very similar to the MG5750, just using PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges instead of PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges. I am not impressed by the MG5550. I find it clumsy with a much bigger foot print than necessary, flimsy and noisy, and it lacks the rear paper feed. In my opinion the MP620 was a better build quality.

The Canon Pixma TS series of printers might be interesting, they look less clumsy and the rear paper feed is back. But the newest series of Pixma TS series printers use the PGI-580/CLI-581 cartridges for which no resetter exists yet AFAIK and maybe compatible cartridges are not available either. The previous series of Pixma TS printers that use the PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges is more interesting as a resetter and after market refillable cartridges are available.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have an MG5550 which I think is very similar to the MG5750, just using PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges instead of PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges. I am not impressed by the MG5550. I find it clumsy with a much bigger foot print than necessary, flimsy and noisy, and it lacks the rear paper feed. In my opinion the MP620 was a better build quality.

The Canon Pixma TS series of printers might be interesting, they look less clumsy and the rear paper feed is back. But the newest series of Pixma TS series printers use the PGI-580/CLI-581 cartridges for which no resetter exists yet AFAIK and maybe compatible cartridges are not available either. The previous series of Pixma TS printers that use the PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges is more interesting as a resetter and after market refillable cartridges are available.
That's what I suspected, but Octoink does not appear to support the TS series, mainly the older models. It looks like refilling by the methods advocated by this Forum are very limited. If you add in the cost of extra clear tanks, going back to the older CLi-8 inks, scraping your existing stock ink in the the case of the MG5750 it makes it very expensive. No wonder users are being forced to buy original, or more likely dodgy refilled carts. I assume the newer Maxifliy is for business use and not very good for photos?
EDIT:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The first generation of the TS models , in English here, use the same PGI-570/CLI-571 as the MG5750. It looks like Octoink has got inks and a refill bundle for these cartridges but no resetter and empty OEM cartridges (yet?)

You can also get inks, a resetter and a "Freedom" refill adapter from a German company Octopus-Office. The cartridges can also be topfilled or refilled using the German method.

I have tried a set of after market refillable PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges with intelligent ARC chips. They are not ideal, I have experienced both leakage and ink starvation, and the chip can get out of sync with the ink content, indicating more ink than actually present in the cartridge. It is possible to use these cartridges, but you should constantly monitor the print quality and often check the actual ink levels and top up if necessary. I think a set of OEM XL cartridges and a resetter would be much better, but sadly also expensive.

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The first generation of the TS models , in English here, use the same PGI-570/CLI-571 as the MG5750. It looks like Octoink has got inks and a refill bundle for these cartridges but no resetter and empty OEM cartridges (yet?)

You can also get inks, a resetter and a "Freedom" refill adapter from a German company Octopus-Office. The cartridges can also be topfilled or refilled using the German method.

I have tried a set of after market refillable PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges with intelligent ARC chips. They are not ideal, I have experienced both leakage and ink starvation, and the chip can get out of sync with the ink content, indicating more ink than actually present in the cartridge. It is possible to use these cartridges, but you should constantly monitor the print quality and often check the actual ink levels and top up if necessary. I think a set of OEM XL cartridges and a resetter would be much better, but sadly also expensive.
It does not sound good which is why I went back to the MP620 yesterday downloaded 8.1 drivers and had a complete free day, tried copying,scans via MP Navigator, printing pages from E-Bay Doctors Newletter. Today green light still OK tried 1 print and got the 5100 error back. Now I went all the way back to 2012 when you were showing how to access Service mode which at that time on a previous Mp620 were sucessfull and printed out the results. Yes I can get into service mode but none of the resetters I have filed up to 3200 seem to work. When opened yes I get the start page but events are not greyed out look solid grey to me. Anyway clicked on Test print nothing happened on printer except yellow and orange lights flash. Possibly because the printer is showing an error code. Or should I try downloading fresh copies of the resetter. if so from where?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have also got an MP620 and service tools versions 3200 and 3400 work very well with that printer. These versions are recommended for the MP620 as they work with all Windows versions XP and newer and both 32 and 64 bit.

The problem is not the service tool version, but that an error in the printer prevents the service tool from working. The printer must be able to function normally in user mode for the service tools to work in service mode.

Latest posts