Canon Pixma MP287 CL-810 cartirdge not printing yellow or cyan

Sunny44

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP287
Hi,
I have a Canon Pixma MP287 that has been great for years.
Problem is we bought it when we lived in Thailand and are now in Australia. Nowhere in Australia claims to have compatible cartidges (I stillc an't determine if this is true).
So i have been refilling them and buying new ones whenever we get back overseas.

I had a new one in and tried to refill it today - unfortunately the blue ink ran into the yellow and printed green, so decided to go back to the old one.

Refilled the old one but it only prints black and bits of magenta on the nozzle check pattern. No yellow or cyan come out at all.
Ran 2 cleans and a deep clean that made no difference.

How can I fix my clogged cartridge?

Any ideas which cartidge I can buy in Aus that is the same as a CL-810? They all have PG before the numbers here, not CL.

Thanks for any advice as is a long weekend and I need to print before work and the shops are closed for the next 2 days here.
Sunny

Sunny44

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP287
Add: if i had the money and the shops were open I would just buy a new printer, but I have neither right now. The printer itself is great though.
The refilled cartridge (B) I put back in had been our of the printer since August, and was very hot here last week, so probably dried. We put fresh ink (that we brought in bottles from Thailand for canon) using a syringe. Have never had this problem before refilling.
The new in August but refilled incorrectly cartidge (A) now prints greenish hues instead of yellow on the test print and all printing is not good as a result.
Don't have any other cartridges available.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly Canon printers and cartridges are regionalised. So a new cartridge bought for the MP280 which is the model intended for Australia, New Zeeland and Europe will not work with your printer.

Your printer uses the pigment black cartridges PG-811 and PG-811XL and the tricolour cartridges CL-811 and CL-811XL. The cartridges for the Australian version of the printer are PG-510 and PG-512 (=XL) and CL-511 and CL-513 (=XL). Except for regional coding the cartridges are identical.

So you will have to import a proper cartridge from Asia to correct the colour error. Maybe a re-manufactured cartridge will be available at a lower cost than a new cartridge?

You might be able to save the cartridge by opening the cartridge to remove the sponges and wash the yellow one. The cartridge body can be cleaned to remove the green ink and after cleaning drip a little ink in the chambers and reinstall the sponges and refill the yellow sponge. Tape the lid back in place and if you are lucky the cartridge will be OK. You might need to clean the colour cartridge from the printer driver to prime it. I think the procedure is difficult and I don't know the chances of success.

Here is how to open the cartridge, be careful not to cut yourself. Here is a post showing cleaning of an opened black cartridge, the procedure is similar for the tricolour cartridge. Here is the result of cleaning a cartridge that was wrongly refilled.

There is a risk that the cleaning attempt will damage the cartridge electronically, and maybe a such damaged cartridge will damage the printer? This can happen with the larger single ink Canon printers, maybe it can also happen to the 2 cartridge printers?

Last edited:

Sunny44

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP287
Thanks for such a comprehensive reply PeterBJ!
Regionalising things is just not cool in a global world where people work and marry across regions! Darn you Canon!
am off to look for a new printer with ink bottles I think... I love this trusty printer but maybe it's time I get a new bottle filling A3 one...

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
Hi,
I have a Canon Pixma MP287 that has been great for years.
Problem is we bought it when we lived in Thailand and are now in Australia. Nowhere in Australia claims to have compatible cartidges (I stillc an't determine if this is true).
So i have been refilling them and buying new ones whenever we get back overseas.

I had a new one in and tried to refill it today - unfortunately the blue ink ran into the yellow and printed green, so decided to go back to the old one.

Refilled the old one but it only prints black and bits of magenta on the nozzle check pattern. No yellow or cyan come out at all.
Ran 2 cleans and a deep clean that made no difference.

How can I fix my clogged cartridge?

Any ideas which cartidge I can buy in Aus that is the same as a CL-810? They all have PG before the numbers here, not CL.

Thanks for any advice as is a long weekend and I need to print before work and the shops are closed for the next 2 days here.
Sunny
Hi

I have had similar problem with PG 40 & CLi 41 cartridges. Only Half of nozzles have been working. Tried some special cleaning liquids, but only Gel Inkjet Nozzle Cleaner solved the problem. You use Q Tips and press in the nozzles that gel. And it works simply beautiful and effective. Like a noodle tool but in o posit direction

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have never heard of a gelled ink jet cleaner, and I think it would make matters worse. Do you have a link to that cleaner?

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
I have never heard of a gelled ink jet cleaner, and I think it would make matters worse. Do you have a link to that cleaner?

It work perfect for me. Just to flush Canon nozzles. It worked the same way on Epson print head. But it need to be played only on nozzle plate otherwise you will get in troubles since it is to tick for inkjet print head channels. Nothing worked Even ultrasonic cleaner had failed on that Epson printhead