Filling a Cartridge with the Wrong Colour... !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is a procedure that I had to introduce to prevent me from filling cartridges with the wrong colours, it was just a matter of matching the cartridge with the correct colour bottles before attempting to refill anything.

This way I have a better chance of spotting any problems before they could happen, but please remember not to place any similar colours together as I did in my Demo Photo (Black/ Grey).

Refilling.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
We all make mistakes. I mostly refill Canon single ink tank type cartridges, but occasionally I also refill combined sponge/printhead cartridges for Canon and HP printers.

No marking systems of ink bottles can prevent mistakes when filling tri-colour cartridges.

PG40 CL41 test print.jpg

This is a Canon PG-40 tri-colour cartridge that I popped open and flushed and washed the sponges, I usually make a sketch showing where to put the 3 colours if I remove the sponges for cleaning, but I had previously been refilling an HP cartridge that used another position of the inks. I hadn't marked the sketches, so magenta and cyan were interchanged in the Canon cartridge. After washing the sponges again and cleaning the cartridge, I got this :
PG40 CL41 test print2.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I love the un-ripened Strawberries, :eek: now hopefully when someone else reads this that they too won’t make the same mistakes... :clap

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Put a white cap (if you can not get an easy to identify light grey colour cap) on the grey ink bottle, pretty sure octo used to have them but not now from what i can see, probably easy to find on ebay.

Or the extreme measure do what a friend just did get some spare yellow caps (lighter the colour the better see it dyes easier) and buy some plastic-dye from somewhere like halfords and colour the cap to some weird colour see it stands out as a warning before you fill.

My mate done his a shocking pink (i know i judged him as well lol)........... This is extreme though and the dye stuff isn't cheap, it does last and will not flake though.

One thing us with old school 4/5 colour printers (aka the poor kids :( ) don't have to worry about i guess :D