Canon PIXMA IP5000

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes you can: choose glossy photopaper, even you are printing on normal paper. This setting forces the dye black ink to be used for printing black. Keep in mind, that printing speed is reduced dramatically, since the dye black ink nozzles are placed in a smaller row than those of the pigment black (about 3 times smaller). Be aware that dye ink is not as durable as the pigment black ink in the BCI-3eBk cartridge and on normal paper dye black is rather dull compared to pigment black.

One thing: did you already tried to clean the electric contacts on which the printhead is sitting on ? Maybe there is some isolaton problem causing some pulses not sent properly towards the printhead causing streaks (but those streaks are very symmetrical and repetitve).

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just remembered...
A custome rof mine had a similar problem about a year ago. After trying many of the suggestions found here, the only thing that finally worked was removing the print head, and flushing it with water. This can take up to an hour or so, and should be flushed from the top and bottom until all chambers attttre totally clear, and there are no more signs of ink when rinsing.

Hopefully, this will help.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Rooster, if you try cleaning your printhead using the water, make sure you dry all internal parts of the printhead using a compressor where you can blow all the water out of the back of the head where the eeprom is located. Also, you must do a couple of deep cleaning cycles after you do a wash cleaning so you can prime the printhead with ink. If you try and print something with priming, you could damage the printhead. After the deep cleaning cycles, print a nozzle check pattern. If you get good results, fine, you're back to printing. If you don't get a totally good nozzle check pattern, run some more deep cleaning cycles and then nozzle check before you print anything.

If you still have the printhead out to do the wash cleaning, make sure you clean the gold contacts on the back of the printhead with Isopropal Alcohol and also clean the contact in the carriage ASM before you put the printhead back. If you still don't get good results, it could be that your Purge unit is a little clogged and not sucking good ink out of the cartridge and into the printhead. Try cleaning the purge suction pads where the printhead is parked by putting several drops of Windex on each pad and doing a power on/off cycle. This should suck the Windex through the pads and down through the Purge unit and hopefully clear it out. Re-do the deep cleaning cycles on the black ink only and repeat the nozzle test.

If all of this fails, you need my "Repair Manual". Look for it on eBay.

mazz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon Pixma ip5200r has spewed out a black inky foam strip along with some duplex printing. It currently still prints but is the loss of this strip fatal? Should I look to repair it (wash it out, but where did it come from) or is it doomed? I'm reluctant to try and replace it: it's been very good and wireless inkjet printers are non-existant.