Canon Pixma G5020 megatank opinions?

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The G5020 megatank is a single function (no copy, no fax, no scanner) printer with an auto duplexer. I've read some reviews and I know it has a poorly lit small screen, and isn't the faster printer. It apparently has network connectivity difficulties but I don't care about that since I would probably use it with a printer to computer cable.

I'm looking for some personal opinions, about this model or the Canon megatank printers in general. Has anyone been using them the past few years?

John

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm looking for some personal opinions, about this model or the Canon megatank printers in general...
A Ciss system on any Canon printer has always been subject to some sort of trouble and the OEM built-in Ciss seems to be no different, they do work most of the time, but can give trouble just when to want to print something..

While on the other hand OEM cartridge printers don’t give any trouble at all..
Canon give out a few free lunches but it’s the gratuity you need to worry about..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
A G-series printer is attractive for its refill convenience with the built-in tank system, various of these G-series printers suffer from air bubbles in the ink tubes

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...otorious-air-in-tube-issue.15342/#post-134007

The actual cause is not clear, and it is not clear either if some Megatank models are affected (at all or more) than other printer models.

The G5020 comes with an CMY dye ink set and a pigmented black for text printing, prints with these inks of a wide range of megatank printers suffer from a pretty weak longevity of color prints , it is no better with similar Epson printers. This may not bother the majority of users but needs mentioning; there is a rather simple work around, but that would require a separate discussion .