Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good to hear all is well, filmguy.

Nice purchase.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
RMM said:
Does the Pro9000 ever really use the red & green cartridges? :) :) :)
Just kidding... They do get used, about 1/10th as fast as the others.
According to pharmacist, you have to have the Media Type set to a specific type, not something generic. For glossy, I think that would be "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and maybe "Photo Paper Pro II". Also, the Print Quality needs to be "High" rather than Standard.

I'm unclear what happens with other Media Types. I'll investigate further, as I certainly want to use Red and Green ink for best gamut.

My (admittedly limited) experience is that if you send a question to Canon support with a specific question, they are quite good about providing an answer. YMMV. I'll check with them:
"How to get Pro 9000-2 to use Red and Green Ink for best gamut?"

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
filmguy said:
Rec'd them today and they are original OEM, still plastic/cellophane bag wrapped just like new ones.
The boxes were not like new, but unopened and did have a Canon holagram on the top..
Thanks for keeping us informed ... and ignoring my possibly flawed advice :rolleyes: ... time will tell. Please accept my apology for bum advice.

I ordered a set of the CLI-8R and CLI-8G. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, as I already have two sets of Red/Green carts. I've proposed a "Introduction to Cartridge Refilling" workshop for my local photography Meetup club, and hope to recruit some fellow print/refill masochists. I would give the CLI-8R and CLI-8G carts away or sell for my cost to help they build up their inventory. Reduce the "barriers to entry".

I suppose it would be feasible to put a PM or PC chip on a purged Red/Green cart, but that seems ill-advised. Actually, deeply flawed?

If anybody has a lead on other CLI-8 OEM empty cartridges I'm looking! As far as I can see at this stage if you have the need I wouldn't hesitate at this price.
I think a related vendor has "30 virgin CLI-8 carts" for $25. However, they are for a different CLI-8 based printer, with Black pigment and not including Red, Green, PM, and/or PC. I submitted a question if they have a set for Pro 9000-2 inkjets.

I did some more checking, and it is a different vendor ... bestinkcartridges or something ... with only 7 feedback scores.

I tried to get to the officelinks website, but got a 404 bad link from a site that seemed based in the UK. Maybe PEBKAC on my part?

However, I think you are overall better having known-to-be original carts with no history of being used by anyone else but yourself. I haven't had a cartridge leak inside the printer, but that sounds like a horrific mess. And I understand that a barely leaking cart can contaminate other carts so your Color Management is a nightmare.

An alternative would be purchasing empty carts from a vendor who is active on this forum. I think several provide these items, but IIRC they are more than "30 to $25 USD". Those Canon carts are really rather complicated.

BTW, I was surprised that the Red ink seemed a lot more Orange than I expected.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
RMM said:
Does the Pro9000 ever really use the red & green cartridges? :) :) :)
Just kidding... They do get used, about 1/10th as fast as the others.
According to pharmacist, you have to have the Media Type set to a specific type, not something generic. For glossy, I think that would be "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and maybe "Photo Paper Pro II". Also, the Print Quality needs to be "High" rather than Standard.

I'm unclear what happens with other Media Types. I'll investigate further, as I certainly want to use Red and Green ink for best gamut.

My (admittedly limited) experience is that if you send a question to Canon support with a specific question, they are quite good about providing an answer. YMMV. I'll check with them:
"How to get Pro 9000-2 to use Red and Green Ink for best gamut?"
I'm sorry I didn't come across clearly... I was just just joking (hence the :) ).
I do always use the highest quality setting available and either the Photo Paper Pro II or Photo Paper Platinum setting in the print driver.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In my pursuit to have a spare full set of CLI-8's for my 9000 Mark ll I came across a NIB Canon iP6600D.

I'm thinking I can sell the printer for a few dollars to offset my ink fetish. So the Red & Green (eBay) combined with this full set of 6 make a full complement for my 9000.

What do you figure an iP6600D NIB minus OEM ink is possibly worth? Honestly, my go to home printer is an Epson 810 and wife says this puppy needs a new home. I am thinking 75.00 or so or am I being mercenary?

Anyway, thanks for the comments and interest.

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
filmguy said:
In my pursuit to have a spare full set of CLI-8's for my 9000 Mark ll I came across a NIB Canon iP6600D.

I'm thinking I can sell the printer for a few dollars to offset my ink fetish. So the Red & Green (eBay) combined with this full set of 6 make a full complement for my 9000.

What do you figure an iP6600D NIB minus OEM ink is possibly worth? Honestly, my go to home printer is an Epson 810 and wife says this puppy needs a new home. I am thinking 75.00 or so or am I being mercenary?

Anyway, thanks for the comments and interest.
If you do a search on eBay, you'd be shocked at the price they are trying to get for the iP6600D. One person is asking $400 for a NIB with ink.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
filmguy said:
Rec'd them today and they are original OEM, still plastic/cellophane bag wrapped just like new ones.
The boxes were not like new, but unopened and did have a Canon holagram on the top..
Thanks for keeping us informed ... and ignoring my possibly flawed advice :rolleyes: ... time will tell. Please accept my apology for bum advice.
Canon OEM Red and Green from eBay showed up today, and appear to be fine ... same condition as reported by filmguy, except no indication of Best Buy. As is often the case, I learn the most when I'm wrong.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, I'm going off my original subject but to finish the transaction I listed it on eBay for 99.95 plus $18.00 for shipping. I sold it in less than 5 minutes which obviously means my price was too low but regardless I have my OEM cartridges and somebody has a brand new printer for what I'm assumming is a too reasonable a price. With my profit I'll buy some more ink from Precision and paper from Costco!

For all you regulars.. Thanks! I appreciate your insightful comments and you have steered my away from the rocks on many occasions. I wish I had more to offer you veterans, but for now, my thanks for your participation.
I'm a better printer user/refiller thanks to your experience and willingness to share your thoughts.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
filmguy said:
OK, I'm going off my original subject but to finish the transaction I listed it on eBay for 99.95 plus $18.00 for shipping. I sold it in less than 5 minutes which obviously means my price was too low
Ghwellsjr thanks you for his new printer. ;)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
stratman said:
filmguy said:
OK, I'm going off my original subject but to finish the transaction I listed it on eBay for 99.95 plus $18.00 for shipping. I sold it in less than 5 minutes which obviously means my price was too low
Ghwellsjr thanks you for his new printer. ;)
No, no, no, it wasn't me that bought his new printer, I'm trying to get rid of most of my 30 printers, even if I have to give them away (to my friends, of course). And besides, I alreay have three iP6000D's, the version without chips in the cartridges.