Canon Pixma 9000 OEM Cartridges

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'd wonder what the date of manufacture were, and expiration. I think "best practices" is to pitch ink over 2 years old ... YMMV.

[Edit] My error: according to an email from Canon, carts/ink don't expire.

I recently bought CLI-8Red and CLI-8Green from a local Office Depot so that I would have a pair, and wasn't able to see anything that indicated date. I am concerned they were pretty old. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

How much is shipping?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It appears that for $8.99 you get two cartridges (one red and one green) and free shipping. That seems too good to be true. And yet, several buyers have provided positive feedback. I wonder what's going on here. I'll bet they don't come in the boxes. They could be counterfeit but you can't lose much so I would go for it.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
They could be counterfeit but you can't lose much so I would go for it.
Sorry ... didn't see the "Free shipping" part. It was near the bottom.

That make me more suspicious that they are bogus/conterfeit/expired.

I'm surprised at your advice, but I have Way Less Experience than you do ... really no comparison. No doubt I should post fewer replies until I have more of an idea of what I am 'talking' about, but I find I learn the most the fastest when I'm not shy about stating my possibly flawed premises/assumptions/opinions, and having them challenged and corrected.

Granted, the Red and Green aren't used that much compared to other colors, but if they are bogus, they are going to be in the printer for perhaps 1000's of prints. I've only printed enough to have recently emptied the Red and Green, but I figured it was justified to pay retail for my second set of Red/Green carts to be sure I was using good ink. I suspect there is some of the Red and Green in many if not most prints.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I would buy them to see if they come in the original box with the hologram on the side and take them to a store (with the manager's knowledge and approval) and compare them to the genuine article to see if there was any difference.

Can any one confirm that this offering is actually for two cartridges?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From the eBay page:

Genuine Canon CLI-8
Red & Green Ink Cartridges
CLI-8R & CLI-8G
for PIXMA Pro9000
Brand New Sealed Retail Packages

This is as good as it gets as far as documenting that you should expect OEM Canon cartridges, both the red and the green. I print out an item's page when I buy as proof of the seller's advertisement.

If you do not get both OEM cartridges then you have a valid issue which eBay Buyer Protection / PayPal will take care of if the seller does not. Using a credit card as your PayPal method of payment also provides a measure of protection for fraudulent purchases.

As always, caveat emptor. Send your questions to the seller and see what they have to say. Study the seller's page for fine print and exam their buyer's feedback. A 99.7% positive feedback on 2673 total feedbacks with only 1 negative and 1 neutral feedback in past 6 months is quite good. The feedback for this seller for this item shows happy buyers.

Saw another eBay page with 3 red and 3 green new OEM cartridges with a starting bid of $20, free shipping, with all cartridges appearing (and stated) sealed but in plastic bags. That would build your inventory fast.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Not meaning to be argumentative, but they could be expired, and be compatible with the listing.

[Edit] My error: according to an email from Canon, carts/ink don't expire.

I agree that a 99+% positive feedback rating is a definite factor.

I just looked at my recently purchased Red and Green OEM carts from Office Depot, and the only thing I see looks to be a lot number, which is no help, at least to me. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I suppose it might make sense if you planned to immediately purge them, and then you would "probably" have a Canon OEM cartridge ... maybe.

I am probably one of the most frugal participants on this forum, but I've "shot myself in the foot" too many times when I went ahead on a "if it sounds too good to be true ..." situation.

Ok, I posed the question at the OP's link and asked about expiration.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Does the Pro9000 ever really use the red & green cartridges? :) :) :)
Just kidding... They do get used, about 1/10th as fast as the others.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
RMM said:
Does the Pro9000 ever really use the red & green cartridges? ... They do get used, about 1/10th as fast as the others.
To me, it seems like it might be "penny wise and pound foolish" to take a chance on Red or Green cartridges. As a variant on "Pascal's Wager", if I'm wrong and they are perfectly ok, then I had a one time expense of $10 per cartridge by paying retail. I'll refill once it is empty.

If they are expired, each print you make until it is empty will have some expired ink on it, but that's probably a minor concern, unless it is way, way expired.

If the carts have counterfeit ink, but are actually OEM carts (seems unlikely), then each print has counterfeit ink.

To me, it seems more likely that if the ink is counterfeit, then the carts are bogus also, and you have an "unknown unknowns" situation. Leaks? Color contamination into other carts? Longevity?

The question I would have is if anyone has any experience with "OfficeLinks". IIRC, it didn't seem altogether clear that OfficeLinks was the eBay seller, but he/she got the carts from OfficeLinks. It almost seems possible that the eBay seller ended up somehow with out-of-date stock from OfficeLink inventory.

And perhaps the other possibility is that they are "hot" ... stolen.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Rec'd them today and they are original OEM, still plastic/cellophane bag wrapped just like new ones.
The boxes were not like new, but unopened and did have a Canon holagram on the top.

I figured for this price I didn't have much to lose and I'm trying to complete a second full complement of OEM cartridges. I have a set of re-fillables that work fine, just thinking I might have this printer doing some double duty and I prefer to replace them all at a change out.

The boxes did have a stamp on one indicating they were from Best Buy. They are probably just old but I don't see an expiration date unless you know how to read their other codes printed on the box.

If anybody has a lead on other CLI-8 OEM empty cartridges I'm looking! As far as I can see at this stage if you have the need I wouldn't hesitate at this price.