Canon PGI-9 resources

njmingz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been going through the forum and using the search function available, but I have not been able to find information regarding purging/flushing of OEM pgi-9 carts. Would anyone please point me to the available information. I have been using OEM inks till now and would like to explore other cheaper alternatives. Would like to try out the IS inks that many users recommend but it seem to come in pretty large quantites (I am not a frequent printer and would just like to try out the quality of the print before I dwell further into it). Is there any place that I can find IS inks in 1oz size? Thanks.

JM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Welcome nimingz

The OEM PGI-9 cartridges that you have been using will never need purging/flushing regardless of which ink you decide to use in them.

These cartridges are quite unique in that there is only ink inside of them,
when they empty out only air is left so they remain perfectly clean inside.

The size of refill bottle inks are not that big and they cost the same as one complete set of new OEM cartridges (approx)
so even if you never get to use all of the ink, (You will) its still far cheaper.

Once you get the refill bug youll quickly realise that printing is far more enjoyable and cheaper than ever
and you may find yourself printing an awful lot more than you had intended believe me, I too am guilty of that.. :)

njmingz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for sharing.

I would like to know when would be the right time to start filling my OEM cartridges, as there would definitely be mixing of the original ink and 3rd party ink occurring. I am afraid that the colour tones from mixing the 2 will have an effect to the print quality of my photos.

Also is there any shop selling the one time chips? As I don't print often, I don't see myself keeping my printer switched on just to maintain the monitoring of ink levels.

thank you.

JM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
njmingz
I am afraid that the colour tones from mixing the 2 will have an effect to the print quality of my photos.
I never bothered to empty the OEM ink out of my cartridges before refilling with I.S. inks and didnt see any difference later
but someone who is a perfectionist with their work might want to do that just in case.

Now fortunately it is easy to remove the reminder of any ink left inside of the cartridge by just making
a small hole in the centre one of the orange clips with a nail or even a sharp needle attached to your syringe
and while keeping the cartridge on top just pull on the syringe plunger slowly and all of the ink can be removed quickly.
Also is there any shop selling the one time chips?
Try this site for just about anything for your refilling including ARC chips as Mike is the Owner and a participator here (Mikling).

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...oncolors.com&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13447867299791

If you wish to PM mail mikling for any questions you can do that too.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/message_send.php?id=1354&tid=2851

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat is right. In fact, if there ever was a printer that was ideal for refilling it is perhaps the Pro9500 which uses the PGI-9. ONLY REUSE THE ORIGINAL CANON. This cannot be stressed enough.
Though it looks similar to other Canon cartridges it is totally different and whatever you have heard about refilling Canon cartridges needs to be rinsed from your thoughts. There is no sponge internally. The internal is all ink with a pistonic diaphragm that acts empties and fills like an accordion. This diaphragm is controlled by a precise spring that prevents the ink from just ooozing out. There are little steel balls internally that mix up the pigment ink during operation to retain consistent color tones from pigment ink which always has a degree of settlement. Best yet, no modifications or damage to the originals need to be done. NONE. So the cartridges are always pristine and will last practically forever.

If Canon could have put out a sponge based cartridge for the PGI-9, don't you think they would have? So don't fall for the aftermarket sponge cartridges.

Always keep the outlet pad properly moistened and capped or sealed during storage.

The only thing that you really need to do is watch out for a small buildup of air inside the cartridge over time. If you have cartridges that refuse to fill to the full weight, then this is likely the problem. So the most highly recommended tool to have with the PGI-9 is a small digital scale accurate to within 0.1 gram. If there is a buildup of air inside the bag, the contraption that the HAT describes will allow you to remove it, by standing the cartridge up and extracting the air. Refilling to the correct weight to within 1 gram is recommended because the 9500 does not have any optical sensors to warn of low ink conditions.

Other than that, it's a refiller's dream because you never need to maintain the cartridge.

The HAT had wondered how many times, he can refill and if I recall, after 50 simulations, the cartridges were still working like new and he had begun training for the Olympics with his syringe pulling games and a good building of his pecs.

The simplest method as an alternate for newbies by jtoolman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGBzHSQx5bU

The option of acquiring a second set of cartridges to swap over when refilling is required is icing on the cake and will allow you to extend the life of the waste ink pad dramatically by multiples. For this aspect alone, the investment of a second set will pay for itself beyond the convenience factor.

njmingz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Which of the orange clips used in other carts are compatible to use with the PGI-9 carts? Searching around, I see many sellers sell CLI-8/PGI-5 clips. I am still unable to find the one time chips for the black and grey carts. Does precisioncolors also sell those? I was not able to find it in the ebay store. Thanks all for the help.

JM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
njmingz said:
Which of the orange clips used in other carts are compatible to use with the PGI-9 carts? Searching around, I see many sellers sell CLI-8/PGI-5 clips. I am still unable to find the one time chips for the black and grey carts. Does precisioncolors also sell those? I was not able to find it in the ebay store. Thanks all for the help.

JM
Only OEM orange clips will work with the PGI-9 carts no other thats why
its very important to keep the ones that came with the original cartridge set.

The one time chips you speak of are called (ARC) can be got at Precisioncolor along with extra empty cartridges
as well as a resetter, the refill gadget especially made for refilling these cartridges and the inks.

If you have any other special requirements or requests then Id suggest you PM him for that personal attention. :)
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/message_send.php?id=1354&tid=7898

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You can buy a set of OEM Empty carst and clips from Precission Colors if they are available.
That's how I got my spare set of carts.
We are talking about PGi-9 carts for use in the PRO 9500MKII?